Oppo 980 SACD clipping problem - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th January 2009, 02:28 PM   #1
millon is offline millon  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Default Oppo 980 SACD clipping problem

There were some reports about the clipping problem encountered for the OPPO 980 while playing certain SACDs.

I encountered the same problem with the Diana Krall When I Look in Your Eyes SACD initially but after I upgraded the original clock to audio-gd clock, the problem went away.

Seems like the problem is clock related.
Old 8th January 2009, 03:48 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

It's great to hear you have found a solution to this problem. You should consider contacting Oppo with your solution. I believe they are struggling to find a fix.

-David
Old 11th January 2009, 12:16 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Million,

Thanks for the info.
I would like to try DIY the audio-gd clock onto my Oppo 970 player. I have a few questions & Iím looking forward to your reply.
1) The audio-gd clock has 2 versions. Am I right to select the one with 27Mhz output?
2) The web-site mentioned that the clock requires 10-30 DC, do u tap the power from the Oppo player or u build a separate power supply for it?
3) What about the original clock inside the Oppo player, do u need to remove it? Do u need to remove any other components inside the player?
4) Do they provide info or schematic on where to connect the clock to the player?
5) Thereís a tuning pot on the audio-gd clock, whatís that for?
6) Lastly how is the performance after the audio-gd clock installation? I suppose it improve only the audio section but not the video side.
Thanks & have a nice day.
Old 12th January 2009, 02:11 PM   #4
millon is offline millon  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Here is what I did:

1. For the Oppo 980 I used the 27MHz output audio-gd clock. However, I have removed the original oscillator on the audio-gd clock and put in a 27MHz TCXO oscillator.

2. Currently I am using the +9V DC from the 980 while waiting for the Walt Jung Super Regulator module. I am not sure if it is the voltage (<10 V required) or because of the TCXO, the player needs to warm up before it can be powered up (no such problem with original audio-gd clock).

3. Yes, you need to remove the oscillator and 2 capacitors on the 970 then solder the new clock to the XTOLI or XI and GND. Do a search for LClock XO3 and see the example on their website for clock upgrade.

4. No, you'll have to search the web for the info. I have removed the oscillator and the 2 SMT capacitors (C40 and C41) next to the "104" resistor.

5. No sure about the tuning pot but no need to change or tune the audio-gd clock.

6. Yes, it did improved the sound quite a bit, I have not tested the video performance as I mainly use it for music.

Hope this helps.
Old 13th January 2009, 12:04 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi Million,
Thanks for the info.
The sound improvement is also on the 5.1 SACD or just the stereo?
I understand the audio gd clock is selling for USD22.5, what's the shipping cost to Singapore?

Hide this!Advertise here!