Jukka's JT-DAC No. 3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
raincheck,

Considering the comments so far I think you might be able to improve it further....

For a reason I dont understand Jukko re-clocks the wordclock going to the dac chips, I assume his thinking was to reduce jitter when the dac chip triggers analog out.

Read the PCM1702 datasheet page 6 and 7 under "digital input" you'll find that this chip uses the bitclock to trigger analog out, the wordclock triggers the series-> parallel register change... the data then sits there for 4 bitclock cycles and THEN goes analog.

So you could just let LE go directly to the dac chips and route the bit clock through IC27B the same way LE and if your clock source and distribution is good enough (low jitter) your dac will sound even better:)

Thanks so much for advice!!! Ill have to read up.
I still cant believe that nobody has built this dac before.. My system includes modified PS Audio Lambda transport , dynaudio speakers and a Bride of Zen Preamp......
This DAC kicks ***!! It sounds very very good. Im really impressed with it..

If no one admits to building this dac how bout some comments on pcm1702 vs newer dacs??

Everything can be improved(better oscillators, tube output stage, I2S, etc...) but Im really blown away how good this JT dac performs.....its excellent right now

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.