Adding a digital out to Shanling MC30 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st December 2008, 07:54 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Adding a digital out to Shanling MC30

I have looked for info about adding digital coax out to the Shanling but have come up empty. Anyone with recommendation?
Before someone asks why, when it has tube output, it needs to feed a DCX2496. I hate the digital to analog to digital back to analog scenario, and want only the final conversion from the modded output of the DCX.
The wife chose the Shanling, no exceptions.
thanks
Old 22nd December 2008, 08:15 AM   #2
zanash is offline zanash  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

does it have an optical digital output ?

if yes you can pick up the feed to this and route it to an rca plug
Old 22nd December 2008, 02:32 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Only has pre out or speaker out. I just want to eliminate some of the 'many' op-amps throughout.
thanks
Old 22nd December 2008, 03:15 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

You would have to fit a SPDIF transmitter, either bought or built depending on the amount of space inside.
Old 22nd December 2008, 03:40 PM   #5
zanash is offline zanash  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

not nessesarily.......just take the digital signal from the optical output

I've done this on a couple of cdp's without rca output
the last was my quad 99cdpII...

if there is no optical output then you need to track down the dac chip and see if it has a spidff output some do especially sonys.
Old 22nd December 2008, 04:59 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zanash
not nessesarily.......just take the digital signal from the optical output
Which as stated it doesn't have. Then there's a few seconds on google.

Quote:

if there is no optical output then you need to track down the dac chip and see if it has a spidff output some do especially sonys.
Dacs with SPDIF output ? a likely story. A CD decoder yes but not a dac.

Back to the task at hand. The dac is the PCM1738E and the decoder is most likely the SAA7327, the usual decoder for the VAM1202 spinner. Try pin 51, if you are in luck it is enabled and if not, its build or buy.
Old 26th December 2008, 05:30 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default rfbrw

Confirmed 7327H, and pin 51 is DOBM, what is the best way then to determine enabled? Scope or voltage? The board connects a 100ohm resistor and 47pf cap, but the trace is underside, so would have to pull the board to ck if it goes to the dac.
For digital out, I would use a bnc or rca because of space constraints. Do i need to add a transformer or just cap and resistor to connector? I found Lukasz (Lampizator) added a 10pf cap in series and a resistor to ground, and found this acceptable (good square wave) but that was the 7220 chip. He states a transformer is only necessary on one side unless balanced. (as I understood it), is this accurate?
recommendations?
thanks
Old 26th December 2008, 05:45 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

DOBM wouldn't go to the dac . It would go to the outside world. A scope would be best.
You'd probably get away with a cap and resistor but have a read through this first.

Hide this!Advertise here!