Pioneer PD-75 Repair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have just taken my PD-75 out of the attic and it will not read CDs any more. I assumed it might be condensation so tried to take off the top cover to "have a look". I undid the obvious 4 securing screws on the top plate, but the cover would not lift off. Are there other fixings, or do I need to use more force!!!!

Can you move it a little, or is it completely stuck?

Are you sure four screws is all? Most of the CD-players I had, had four or six screws on the sides and two or three at the back.

Sometimes the edge of the cover hooks behind the front. To unhook it you have to lift the rear of the cover up before you can pull it away. Usually a 45 degree angle will do.

If the whole thing seems to be stuck solidly together, and you're sure all screws are out, then more force might be needed. Maybe there's some anti-vibration pad between the transport and the cover that has become stuck. I don't know the PD-75, so I'm just guessing here...

hifileslie said:
I have just taken my PD-75 out of the attic and it will not read CDs any more. I assumed it might be condensation so tried to take off the top cover to "have a look". I undid the obvious 4 securing screws on the top plate, but the cover would not lift off. Are there other fixings, or do I need to use more force!!!!

Once you get it open be very careful, you may have what has happen to allot of these Pioneer lasers, is that with a bit of humidity the lenses falls out of the laser because they were glued in place with water soluble glue.
So be careful you may find a little lense loose inside somewhere, I was lucky with mine as when the stable platter came out for me to load a disc, the lense was sitting on the platter
Cheers George

Might be the laser. If I put a CD upside down in my CD-player (which, of course, is the right way for a PD-75) it won't spin the disc. It seems that the laser first needs to see a disc before the player decides to spin it. If your's has lost its lens like georgehifi's...

Another option I'm thinking about is oxidation of contacts. No doubt there are lots of connectors inside that might have oxidized during the long stay in the attic. Time to open it up and have a peek inside I'd say...(I already looked up a picture on the internet, looks like it's crowded inside a PD-75).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.