Modding a Technics SH-AC500D DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently acquired a Technics SH-AC500D from Savers for $19.99!!! This unit is from the early 2000s, has three S/PDIF (optical and coaxial) inputs, as set of 5.1 RCA outputs and a passthrough for one analog 5.1 RCA set. It decodes PCM, Dolby Digital and DTS, plus it's got a Pro-Logic decoder.

I bought this unit with the intention of completely gutting all capacitors and resistors (which are component mount, rather than surface mount).

I'm also wondering about jitter and stuff. Is this something even worth perusing? (As a student, I've talked to professionals who say good Word Clocks make all the difference).

Any other suggestions on upgrading DACs?

Thanks much!

~Matt

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
rochmndx said:
I recently acquired a Technics SH-AC500D from Savers for $19.99!!!

I'm still using one of these... mine cost a couple hundred bucks used (at least 10 years ago) -- the original sales invoice was in excess or $1k. Mine is still stock despite intentions of souping it up... i use it to decode DVDs and the feed from the HD cable box.

One guy on the JoeList posted some mods he found worked... i'll see if i can dig that info out.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.