replacing Dac - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2008, 08:13 AM   #1
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Oct 2005
Default replacing Dac


Im interested in upgrading my cd player, I guess replacing the DAC would be a good starting place, maybe purchasing something from twisted pear audio.

The Question is for a newbie is there a site describing just how replacing this dac is done, is it as easy as that or does each model of cd player differ.

  Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2008, 11:49 AM   #2
pilli is offline pilli  France
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Aug 2006
The term "DAC" may refer to two thigs:

1. On a CD player you can identify, at the highest level, several "subsystems"; two very important ones are "transport" and "DAC".
"Transport" extracts the digital information from the disk (to describe it quickly), and "DAC" converts it to an analog signal that can then be amplified to make "sound". This "DAC" subsystem is itself composed of several pieces, such as "digital filters", "digital-to-analog converter", and "output analog stages" of different kinds.

2. In the "DAC" subsystem described above, there is a chip called the "digital-to-analog converter", or DAC. Such a chip cannot work "standalone", but only with the appropriate other components around.

"Replacing the DAC" as in "2" can only be made in very specific conditions, such as putting a higher "grade" of the same DAC chip. The cases where you have "drop-in", or almost, replacements are very rare.

Replacing the DAC as in "1" means using your CDP as a "transport only" and tapping a digital signal (usually SPDIF, or I2S if available) to feed an "external DAC" (it actually doesn't have to be external, if you diy it into the same case, or no case at all, like in prototypes...)
So let's call it "separate", rather than "external".

And then, to answer your question,
you WILL find some introductory explanations in wikipedia and and and and

  Reply With Quote


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replacing 2SK 215/2SJ78 palesha Solid State 4 9th June 2013 05:33 AM
Replacing a LCD Display and I need help Unkle77 Everything Else 10 24th December 2008 03:36 PM
Replacing 50K pot with 10K pot KevinLee Parts 10 10th December 2007 04:50 AM

New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:49 AM.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2017 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2