Neverending motor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm playing with a nice Philips cd210 that I've found (TDA1543 based). Made basic mods: nonoversampling and replaced opamps with LM4562. I really like the sound. So I wanted to add a dedicated 5v supply for the dac: cut the existing trace and connected the little pcb (input from main filter capacitor+capacitor+7805+capacitor) but when I switched on the player the motor started to run neverending! :scratch: I really don't understand what happened, I think isn't a big problem but I'm not able to fix it.
Please really need help...
Thanks

Phil is right; you always need the clock to start before the decoder chip (the SAA7310 in this case) tries to take control of the disc servos.

Either undo the new-psu mod to the dac, or at least ensure this new PSU starts-up before the rest of the player. That might be as simple as juggling time-constants with the raw smoothing caps - smaller values for the DAC's supply, so it (and the attached clock) start first.

Incidentally, what dac does this player use..?

Thank you for your replies. Actually I didn't connect the new PS. This is the algorithm ;) :
-cut the trace before the resistor that precedes the dac;
-connected a twisted pair wires to first filter capacitor pins;
-connected the other end of the twisted pair with new PS (capacitor+7805+capacitor)
-switched on the player (I wanted to check the voltage after regulator with a multimeter)
-SMOKE from the new PS :firefite:
-ok, just an inverted capacitor (a little tantalum with invisible writing)
-replaced capacitor
-switched on the player: I don't remember if the motors started suddenly to run or if this happened a little later (anyway the player was reverted as I was working under the pcb: I don't know if this means something)
-PANIC :bigeyes:
-tried to replace the cut trace with a little wire
-ok but the motors don't stop
-I really didn't understand :scratch1:
-I still don't understand :confused:

ps: Martin, the dac is a TDA1543 one.

Attachments

• dac.jpg
    dac.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 84
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.