cambridge cd2/cd 3 thread...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi guys
just wondered if there would be any intrest in starting a thread regarding the problems,fixes,mods etc of these great cd plays....maybe a place to pool ideas ,mods etc???
anyone intrested???
my friend and me both have the cd 2 which we intend to have ago at modding,and we,re be more then happy to post our findings/results as we see/hear them and would certainly loove to hear ideas etc from people more knowledgable...
it will start off alittle slow at first as time is a issue at the moment..but it will certainly happen!!!
any feedback on this idea??
all the best
smithie

hi pilli
thanks for your response,dont worry about being a beginner as im at that level to.
thanks for your links,i had read them but there is some useful infomation in there to start with.
it doesnt look like a schematic seems to exist anymore although people have hinted that they have them no one seems forward with sharing them...which is ashame!
at present im trying to get in touch with stan curtis the designer/builder of these great units to see if he can help out in any way...so ill keep you posted if i have any luck there.
as ive said,im abit busy at the moment to get in full swing with this..but i will!
all the best
smithie

ok
havent done much at present regarding the cd2,mainly been getting some bits together for the project,which so far consist of a precision clock,some super duper regulators,power surplies,transformers and some s1 dacs,along with caps,valves etc for a tube output stage,ill post a pic when i get a chance.
of course the first major herdle thats is faced is the fact that there just isnt any room in there for the amount of stuff i want to put in,so am thinking of making anew base plate with cut-outs in it so i can build a box type plinth under neight it to house all the gear...still pondering on that at the moment!!
update over with:D
all the best
smithie

ok ive started to do afew simple jobs to the cambridge cd2.
ive replaced the cheap 4.7uf output caps with some 2.2uf paper in oil types...very worthwhile to these ears,giving a more organic and open sound.
ive replaced the power surply caps on the dac boards to oscons...these things always impress me with the improvements they bring.
lastly i changed the 7220a chip for a 7220b chip and i cant believe what a vast improvement that brought,i also osconed the voltage line on this chip so that may have helped...more detail and less flab in the bass!
but now i have a problem and hope someone can help....
after changing the chip to the 7220b when you put a disc in and skip tracks its like the mute circuit isnt working or something as you get a breif scrathing noise,bit of a song befor it starts playing( as if your fast forwarding etc), its point of a second stuff but it never use to do it and so want to sort it out!!!
is there something else i should of done when replacing this chip,have i missed something?
any help guys
all the best
smithie

I have recently Purchased a CD 2 of E-bay Replaced 15000 UF !6v with Mundorf 22000uF 50v and 1000uF 16v with Blackgate FK 2200uf 35v cleaned cd mech brushless spindle motor reads quicker also cleaned laser but in doing so damaged ribbon cable so risked it and replaced CDM 2/10 laser with CDM 4/19 laser just had to use CDM 4/19 mount plate and bolts how long it will work for who knows but it does sound better.I also have tried to contact Stan Curtis not an easy guy to get a hold of ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.