It may be possible to use a KSS240A in a CDPX55ES instead of a KSS270A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an old Sony CDP-X55ES and have been looking into the future to keep this beast running. It uses a KSS270A which are no longer available so had a thought of using a KSS240A.

I have a couple of CDP990 which were from the same year and also uses a frame beam chassis to locate the drive assembly. They also use the same connectors to the main PCB as the X55ES in the form of CN101, 2, 3, 4. Quickly looking at the schematics shows they use the same ICs on the main board from these connectors and even component values are the same designation but there are differences in some values etc.

Ripped out a drive from a CDP990 and installed it in the X55ES and connected it to the main board. It fired up and played the disc fine with no dramas but I could not skip to the next track. With a bit of perseverance, patience I'm sure the KSS240A would able to be used successfully even if that meant transplanting 20-40 components from the CDP990 main board.

Connector CN101, 2, 4 are identical and CN103 uses 1 less pin (VG) on the KSS240A while the KSS270A has a link from CN103 (VS) to CN104 (OUT SW).

The CDP990 drive does not fit exactly as the front display on the X55ES is in the way but using the base from the X55ES should solve that or some creative panel beating.

I didn't proceed any further or attack with a soldering iron as the KSS270A laser is only a few years old so should be good for another 10+ years as it's used as a secondary player. I also have a spare KSS151A as a backup plan as they look the same but may differ electrically but worth a try when the time comes.

So me thinks there may be a way to extend the life of these great old players from Sony. CDP990s are cheap on eBay and KSS240A lasers are plentiful.... both would be much less than a KSS270A if you could buy it.

I don't know how this would relate to other models as I only have the 2. BTW, the CDP991 is no good for this method as it uses the later drive that's screwed to the base and uses the single ribbon to the main board.

Hi rabbiz,
I am looking for a KSS-240A based transport for bulding a DIY player.
Can you give any info about the build quality of the CDP-990 transport compared to the CDP-X55es? (Or any other player you might know)
How is the quality of the tray of the CDP-990?
I intend to use the tray mechanism from a CDP-103, weights about 2kg alone,
Tray made from metal, sliding on steel rods. You can also find this mechanism in
Accuphase players, (i.e. DP-60 / DP-11. Catalogues can be downloaded from Accuphase to take a look)
All the best,
Sal

Hi Salar

The tray assembly in the CDP-990 is just a standard plastic affair which is similar to the 55ES. It's the actual drive / sled that is vastly different. They are extremely reliable and easy to work on.

This one is from a CDP-991 which has a different mounting arrangement to the CDP-990 but tray etc are the same.

Attachments

• kss240drive.jpg
    kss240drive.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 671
.... but the metal mounting block that includes the sled and drive is a good one. Very robust with rod and nylon guides for the laser device. Compared to the cheap punched metal Sanyo SFP101N in my Cambridge 840C, it looks like a Mercedes even though the Sanyo does work well but will wear out a lot quicker. The laser in my CDP-990 is the original and that was purchased in 1990.

Attachments

• kss240ablock.jpg
    kss240ablock.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 625
.... for some reason the KSS240A are great trackers and good data retrieval has to be a plus IMO. I have a self made torture disc with 10 tracks. Track 1 has no obstacles, track 2 has 2-2mm lines across the data, each successive track adds another 2-2mm lines blocking the data. Most CD players I've tried only get to track 3 but the KSS240A based players usually drop out about track 7. My old CDP-990 and a CDP-S41 actually fire up track 10.... very spitty and missing bits but has a good try before it hangs.

Check out CD torture (no swipes about the green).

Attachments

• cdtorture.jpg
    cdtorture.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 628
Now, THAT was quick! Thank you!
Do you know from which manufacturer motors M1 and M2 are? Mabuchi?
For my beloved Nakamichi, the Mabuchi FR-310-TA motors are still available,
but with a longer shaft, I had to mill a brass spacher with addional bronce bearing to make it fit...
But the disc Table of M1 is not removable, is it?
Do you know the height of the mounting block? (from metal base to bottom)
My DIY Player will be rather slim, the tray mechanism with opened clamper takes about 33mm, I would like to stuff the whole mechanism into a space of 66mm
height, so there is only 33mm left for the mounting block. (72 mm total height are also possible, but not desireable)

I have "CD-Check" at home, with 5 Tracks and error sizes ranging from 0.375mm up to 1.5mm (the total is 6mm, because it is 4 stripes in a 90 degree angle)

The Nak with KSS-123 already clicks at 0.375, a Sony X-5000 at 1.125 mm.
One Philips VAM1202 I tried also failed already at 0.375

Again, thanks a lot!
Salar

M1 and M2 are Mabuchi motors.

Platter on M1 is not moveable and and there is no mechanical adjustments, only focus / tracking gain.

Total height is 45mm from the top of the platter (disc bottom surface) to the bottom of the suspension guides (the 4 white nylon pins in the pic). Can be made less of course with some plastic surgery.

Attachments

• kss240_2.jpg
    kss240_2.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 713
Rabbitz,
you are gorgeous! Is this the whole logic / servo control underneath?
Maybe even one IC alreaty providing SPDIF or DATA/L-R Clock/ Wordclock out?
Do you probably know the clock frequency? 16.9344?
One problem might be:
I need about 11-12mm from the platter to the white gear assembly on the top
I could cut a hole for them in the CDP-103 tray assembly. but this could end in
complicated metal surgery...

Those pics are for the CDP-991, CDP-295 which does have the servo etc under the drive. The CDP-990 which was an earlier player using the KSS240 had all that on the main PCB.

Most of the KSS240 based Sony players I have use 45.1584 as it lines up with the DAC such as the CXD2552Q. The only CDP-990 I know that used 16.9344 were for the US market that used AD1860N. There are some like the CDP-S41 that also used 16.9344 as they used the TDA1543A. That player could be a good candidate as it was a mini sized player but unfortunately still has the gear for the sled (see pic). Picked up one on ebay a few weeks ago for A$32.

There is a site (Russia?) around that has a list of players with their lasers and DAC which would help with selection to suit a clock frequency.

It may pay to download a CDP-295 service manual just to give you an idea of what's happening in there. I chose that one as I know it's free in this link and does relate to the later Sony players using the KSS240.
http://www.hifiengine.com/manuals/sony/cdp-295.shtml

Another option is always the KSS213 but I have no experience with it other that I had some players from Sony, Yamaha, Rotel that used it in recent times.

Attachments

• bu5bd3.jpg
    bu5bd3.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 355
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.