Wadia Digimaster X64.4 Help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Right covers are off, thanks to the cranky old fart from the other place, they are PCM56PK and the opamps are OPA606 mine may have the PCM61PK in as it is a later model, and Wadia rebadged them and the OPA's. This circuit looks as thou they try get a balanced output from a single ended I out from the 4 xDac's how do you guys see this?

Sorry the three yellows and the black go to the Sledgehammer output board which has 2 x HA-5002 opamps per channel, that's impossible to trace as it's multi layered board, it has balanced and single ended outputs

Cheers George

Attachments

• wadia x64.4 dac board.jpg
    wadia x64.4 dac board.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 735
Hi Paolo,
inertial said:
Hi,

I have always cosidered wadia as state of the art DAC. It sounds!
But also I have thinked I/V stage and output stage are the weak point.
Have you considered a passive I/V stage or transformer? :D

Cheers,
Paolo

Yes, I think too, Wadia is state of the art: nice bass level and very high and neutral definition. I could not change any stage because it is not mine.:rolleyes:
You can obtain more by managing vibrations.
Managing vibrations

Eric

Hi Eric,

You smash an open door with me ....my nickname is INERTIAL :D

My "uncle" is teacher of vibrational mechanics, so I have learned a bit..

I have fast looked at your link, I agree vibrations is always bad, but I suggest you to be more radical : isolate every audio components emploing a subsonical decoupliing at 2-4 Hz with minimum damping.
You can use elastic rubber, air spring or at least steel spring.
The model to refer is the simple damped harmonic oscillator where the DAC is the mass and K is obviously the spring. R is the damping.
You can easy obtain a combined FR ( frequency of vibration) of about 2-4 Hz. This work the best.

Cheers,
Paolo

inertial said:
...The model to refer is the simple damped harmonic oscillator where the DAC is the mass and K is obviously the spring. R is the damping...
If I understand your model, you isolate device from vibrations by spring (soft) material?

There is three sources of vibrations
- coming from floor,
- aerial, coming from speaker,
- internal, coming from transformer.

Spring (soft) material isolate only vibrations coming from floor and is unable to flow the others ! If DAC is the only mass, it is not enough to flows vibrations.

Are you right?

Eric

Eric ,

despite the origin of vibrations, rational mechanics says " a body souspended out (below) of band can't vibrate in band "
Do you agree?

Cheers,

Paolo

P.S.: I have tried to speak about this in various occasions in the loudspeaker section. An interesting thread was " purpose of speaker spikes", see mine latest post in last two pages,if you are interested. Zero result, only "noise". Unfortunately.
I think NO ONE is real intersted in vibrations, very hostile argument that requires basics of rational mechanics to start and much more :hot:

People laughing about vibrations in electronics, so...:whazzat:

Cheers,

Paolo

Zoran said:
Hi
I tryed 100hm passive Riv per DAC chip...
and then amplify to about 2V with phase shift 180...
Sound was good
Dacs opperated without overheating an for very long time...
Also I found (but that is subjective...) that OP inside,
is not bad at all.
Maube little rough...

Was this with the same Wadia unit I have Zoran?

Cheers george

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.