Arcam alpha one Transport - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st October 2008, 05:36 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Smile Arcam alpha one Transport

Hi everyone, i got a alpha one, and the transport system doesn't no more move up the metal plate where the laser sets!

i would like to know what i can do to change it, and what specification or spares i need to buy!

i thx you lot!

Pet,
Old 22nd October 2008, 03:21 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

thx for your help!
Old 26th January 2012, 10:21 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi, I have a different problem but with the same transport. I know it was a long time ago but did you ever find out what type of mechanism it was? I think I need to replace mine.

Thanks
Old 27th January 2012, 08:22 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishiranian View Post
Hi, I have a different problem but with the same transport. I know it was a long time ago but did you ever find out what type of mechanism it was? I think I need to replace mine.

Thanks
hi,

its a CDM4, as about my problem, i think its all about the clock , left it aside for a while but soon sure back on to repair it!

thx
Old 27th January 2012, 08:22 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I had a proper look last night and it seemes like the problem is with the motor. It has difficulty starting but when it gets going it's fine. Someone suggested putting a reverse charge through it so the motor spins backwards and that this can dislodge any gunk on the inside of the motor. I also tried to get some contact cleaner sprayed inside. Initially it seemd to work perfectly but then it became less and less able to start up a new cd and soeties it couldn't at all. Opening and closing the drawer seemed to make it work soetimes but I want to fix it properly before I begin moddig it.

I think it's a sony KSS240a mechanism. I can find replacement lasers but not the housing for it which has the disc motor. TBH I don't know what this is called...is it the transport?

Any idea where I can find a housing for this laser?
Old 28th January 2012, 06:25 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

i think is about laser block, if you motor is working good at time, it seems to be a logical problem , on this transport mechanism all logic are integrated to the block laser !

just change it with a brand new ,

about housing, you have to identify which kind of cdm you got , its writen on it
Old 15th February 2012, 04:38 AM   #7
orix102 is offline orix102  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Hi everyone. I recently purchased Arcam Alpha One CD player from second hand market. The plan is to hook it up to my Arcam Delta Blackbox DAC as a transport. Apparently no sound come out when I connect the digital cable to the CD player. It works fine if I connect it direct (audio out) to the amp. Test other transport - so far working hence it could not be the DAC. What could be the causes?
Old 15th February 2012, 04:42 PM   #8
amc184 is offline amc184  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Does your Black Box have a small, square pushbutton near the digital input(s) on the back? If so, try toggling that, it has two positions and either can be correct depending on the transport.
Old 28th February 2012, 01:17 AM   #9
orix102 is offline orix102  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the tips.

Just realize that there is a push button to configure the digital input - after so many years.

Work fine now.
Old 28th February 2012, 09:11 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

You need the SM from CDM2 and CDM4 transport mechanism include servo section.
check out this URLs:
Philips Service Manual
Inside Classic Audio: Arcam Alpha
PHILIPS CDM4 service manual

Hide this!Advertise here!