Ad8620 Vs. THS4032

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wich one do you think is the best opamp for the sound card?
I've ordered the ad8620BR, but i'm reading that the THS4032 is much better than the ad8620 (don't know if it's the br version, but i think yes). Should i cancel the order and buy the THS4032 instead?

I would get both. There are so many variables (circuit design, layout, decoupling, etc.) that it would really be hard to say which will perform better in your soundcard. These opamps are both high speed devices, so one or both of them may not even work with the soundcard as it is. What opamp does it currently use?

The default opamp of the auzen prelude is the lm45 something (don't remember it's full name). It's that famous cheap but good opamp. I wanted an opamp with a sound similiar to that one, but better, so i chose the ad8620br. Also, this last one can be found on the auzen official web site, with the adaptor, so it's sure 100% that it's compatible with the audio card. The THS4032 isn't on the auzen opamp list (yet?), so i heard of it only after i had already ordered the ad8620br. That's it, i don't even know if it's fully compatible, and what kind of sound it has.
So if you say that the difference between the ad8620br and the THS4032 is but a small improvement, i guess i'll be content with the ad8620br.
Also, i'd like to know the THS4032 price. If it's much more expensive than the ad8620br i'll be even happier to not have bought it ^^.

In my Twistedpear COD DAC, at the balance to single conversion position after the AD826 IV, I have tried both AD8620 and THS4032, also LM4562, AD8066, LM6172, OPA2132 and OPA2064 etc.

For pop/jazz/vocal music, I prefer THS4032 - a lot.

The difference between THS4032 and other amp in this case is day and night. It sounds a lot fuller, more importantly, it has much better pace than other amp. It is simply more musical. It tips towards the lower end. But that is what I am looking for. Comparing to the Twistedpear Buffalo, the COD in on the thin side.

You have to try out THS4032.

you see the soldering the man does in that 'burson opamp upgrade in 5min' video? no static protection, no flux, force fitting module to pcb, pcb moving all around while soldering--component side loosely propped up by the cd player chassis itself, not cleaning with alcohol but just a brush, heavy transformer still connected to pcb just hanging off to the side by its wires--watch at the end when he's ready to put cdp back together..and I like how they just skip over the part of man actually removing the old opamps..it would have been a treat to watch him do that..with transformer hanging off table as he cuts through the ICs..

http://www.bursonaudio.com/Burson_HDAM_Module.htm

i don't mean to be down on the guy. I couldn't care less. I think it's kind of funny though..

There might be a best amp for a particular circumstance, but I just don't want be locked to only one chip. I like to use different chips to pain different colors of the sound.

One of the greatest fun of HIFI is comparision, I want to be able to easily tube-roll and chip-roll my gear.

HiFi to me is just too much of personal taste, also depending on the mood. Something I feel NE5532 sounds dearer than those new kids in town.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.