Wadia WT 2000 transport – do not read

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Actually, friend of mine asked me to contact this forum hoping that someone can halp with advice or schematics.

Briefly, this year he bought Wadia WT 2000 trhough e-bay. The seller (company selling second hand hi-fi gear) was from Germany, and when the unit arrived to Belgrade, the problem occured. Wadia could not read or recognized the compact disc at all. My friend contacted the seller who claims that the Wadia was in perfect working order before shipping, even that the laser was changed with new one, etc. Returning the unit back to Germany, due to fault, and requesting the refund is as you assume a long process and almost impossible from here and too much complicated. He tried to contact Wadia and Teac tech.support in order to get some help with schematics or manual, but again without any positive response. Then, he tried to repair the unit here in Belgrade with several well known technician/serviceman/engineers around, but again no one managed to repare the transport without proper service manual or schematics.

We managed to supply service manual for Teac P2S SM (Renaud, thanks again) which unfortunately is not of great help as this unit is a bit different from Wadia WT 2000.

Maybe it is of importance that on the Wadia mother board there is marking Teac P2.

What else have been done ? From other transport TEAC P-500, KSA 151 laser assebbly is removed and swapped to Wadia and nothing happened. Than the laser from Wadia was fixed to Teac P-500 and everything works fine. Shortly, TEAC works with both lasers, while Wadia do not. So, definetely the laser from Wadia is ok as well as a power supply. Both lasers works in the Wadia the same way, constantly moving up and down, producing high frequency sound (easy to hear).

It happened only twice, once transport alone, and second time pushed by finger the platter started to spindle, and elementary data from cd was read briefly.

The engineer who is now trying to fix the problem said that schematics for TEAC P2S, we have now, is not compatible with Wadia WT-2000, specially in part describing motor servo control, who btw is suspected as culprit.

Well, I am wondering, if anyone from this forum have ever similar problem and can help with any suggestion or advice and whether anyone have service manual or schematics for Wadia WT-2000. Of course, my friend is prepared to pay the cost for the manual in advance.

As previously said Wadia and Teac technical support tottaly refuse to give any help.

Thank you very much for any information in advance and best regards,

Damic

If you are, indeed, hearing any high frequency 'squeal' from the laser pickup's focus/tracking actuator when installed in the Wadia, this most often means that the laser has focused and is waiting for the platter/disc motor to spin the cd. So, look for a fault in the platter motor or the motor's drive circuit. It may simply be a case of the motor, if it is a dc brush motor, needs a quick shot of silicone spray lubricant inside, as is often the case with such motors.

Hello stephensank,

Thank you very much for your reply. I just finished conversation with owner and he said that it seems nobody up to now checked the platter motor in the way you mentioned. So, it will be fantastic if the fault is there and not in servo control circuit where all were focused till now. Upon checking, I will revert.

best regards,

Similar problem

Hi,

I know it's a few years too late, but I saw this post and was wondering if you could elaborate on the solution you found for your WT-2000. Mine often has problems detecting discs, and I have thought it was probably a similar easy fix.

The local technician I have gone to really didn't want to try to look at it, he said parts for "exotics" like this are very hard to come by.

Thanks in advance,

csundt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.