CD: Sony CDP-X777ES transport repair advice requested

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Please visit http://x777es.homestead.com/index.html to see photos of my disassembled unit. This website has three pages with a freely downloadable Service Manual - a service to all X777ES owners.

My X777ES has two issues:

(1) Drawer opens/closes incompletely and usually requires my intervention.

I suspect that the sled rails need some lithium (is that correct?) grease. Should the rails be cleaned (with CRC QD Contact Cleaner? -- or what?) before applying new lithium grease?

Quoting from an X777ES post on Agoraquest:

"Finally musttered the guts to disassemble the motor after removal of the entire tray holding the laser and the motor drive. The rotor shaft had a lot of gunk, brown, thick on the end that rotates on the bearing. After cleaning the shaft and ample use of WD40 on the shaft (I did not remove the magnet from the shaft) the whole unit works again like a charm." Posted by onno, 2008-06-22. Is he referring to the Load Motor? It is certainly not obvious to me how these small motors would be disassembled -- they are soldered to a PC board.

I wonder if the Load Motor or associated belts need lube or replacement? If so, how to clean & lube these tiny motors? Is Deoxit used for cleaning? What is used for lubrication? Where to acquire the belts? Is exact belt replacement from Sony required? The Load Motor in my photos looks OK. It spins - not sure if it could spin a little more easily than it does. Load Motor Assembly (M652) and two associated belts (#295, #263) can be seen in lower left of Service Manual p42 diagram on Download page.

(2) CD is not always held down on tray properly. When this is the case the CD is not read and does not play.

Does this have something to do with the Chucking Arm? There is a spring-loaded screw on the Chucking Arm Assembly (part #205 in upper left of Service Manual p41 diagram on Download page). Does this screw adjust the downward pressure of the Chucking Arm, thus holding the CD in place more-or-less securely?
http://x777es.homestead.com/index.html

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Never worked on this model but loading belts are always failure items. It should be easy to tell if they are slipping though. As to the motors, depending on how hard they work-- meaning if it's been struggling to open a seized drawer etc -- then it's possible it could be faulty. Usually a good general test is to remove the motor and power it from a variable PSU and monitor the current. With no load should be only a few milliamps at 3 or 4 volts. Any rough running or dead spots show up like this. A single drop of light oil won't do any harm on the center bearing. You would be unlucky for it to be faulty though. You can't dissasemble them as they have turned flanges holding them together.
Those runners for the tray look as though they could get sticky over the years. Clean properly and use a proper plastics/metal grease.
On anything this age it's basically dried and hardened grease on the mech and gears, and perished rubbers that cause most problems. There should be no need to try adjusting anything yet, there has to be a reason why the clamp isn't working properly -- like the above mentioned.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.