Mission PCM7000 with poorly laser

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
Just come across this site and wondered if anyone could help me. I have a Mission PCM7000 which I have owned from new (purchased for £800 in 1987). The laser has finally had its day and now skips. I have it inot a workshop who confirmed this stating I need a new CDM 4/31 laser assembly, but are not able to source one due to its age. Would anyone have any idea where I could get one of these?

I understand the CD transport is the Philips CDM 2/10, but I could be wrong with this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pete

cdm4/31 is the replacement unit for the cdm2 unit, complete with pcb. Finding a 4/31 will be difficult.

A better option would be to find a cheap playing philips (based) player with cdm2 and swap the transport. They are still around.

So get it back and open it up. Then take a picture and post it here. See what's in there.

And if you can do measurements, take a philips service manual from a player with that cdm and first find out what the problem is.

In many cases it's not the laser, but just a cheap cap that needs to be replaced (33uF cap). Suggest to try that and try to calibrate the transport. Worth an attempt.

Think the 7000 was related to the philips 650.

And search here, lots of info present

I assumed the service centre would have cleaned the laser as part of their diagnosis, but then again - if they can get a more expensive job from it, perhaps they will try.

What do you suggest to use to try cleaning it?

If time allows, I will take picture of the transport and upload tonight.

I have tried uploading pictures, but smallest file size I can shrink them to is about 150K and this is too big to be uploaded.

Tried cleaning laser with acetone. Made no difference.

How much would you charge for a spare CDM 2 or 4 drive assembly?

I need to establish whether to write off my player and buy a more modern one, or invest in its repair.

I have tried fiddling with the pot on the back of the pcb, but made no difference. It was set to 61 Ohms. I raised this up to 70 and down to 50. All I get is "Disc Error". I have just tried inserting a disc, then removing the disc once loaded (trying to fool the player the disc is still present. I then pressed "play" and the drive span up. I expected to see the red light from the laser, but there was nothing. I done this in darkness. Should there be visible light from the laser?

Another observation is there is no server noise. This used to be present when the laser tracked the disc. It is almost silent now, just a whisper quiet noise from the drive motor.

I am now wondering if the service centre has adjusted some things.

Before the player went in, it would play after being left to warm up for about 30 mins - now I get nothing.

Any suggestions on what to check

In the dark, you should see the laser if you look at the lens during the focus routine. (when the laser bobs up and down)

I wouls not use acetone, its a bit strong. Alcohol and distilled water (vodka) is OK on a cotton bud.

To load photos, use MS Paint to reduce the file size by cropping and shrinking. Also save as .jpg. It should not be a problem.

It does sound like the "service centre" has messed it up.

Don't write it off and throw it away, send it to me instead !!!!

I usually charge 20.00GBP inc UK postage for a known good CDM-2.

Andy

Thanks, Andy.
Do you recommend replacing with a CDM 2/10 or as advised a CDM 4/31 as recommended to me.

In your experience, what is the difference between the two and what does this ultimately mean to the sound? I still regard the mission player highly, giving a warm tonal balance and good sound stage. I find more modern players becoming too clinical - at least in my price bracket!!

Would the drawer mechanism be modified on my unit? It has Mission printed on the front edge and a nice anti slip mat the disc sits on. I would not like to lose this originality. Can I swap the tray to a replacement from yourself?

Pete

Andy,
I have got pictures, but cannot scale them down enough to upload.

The files are now only about 75k each and am gewtting error they need to be no more than 1000 x 1000. I have reduced resolution to 800 pixels / inch.

Can I email you these direct so you can confirm compatibility.

Pete

poynton said:
The cdm4 is a later version after the cdm2 became 'obsolete'
I think the servo components are different but effectively they are indentical.

I would have to see a photo to check on any differences.

Andy

A cdm2 has a hall motor. The 4/31 does not iirc. I've seen claims that the hall motor is better (gives less pollution, electrically speaken).

There are cdm4's with hall, but not so many (4/11 and the metal one)

mixter_v said:
Andy,
I have got pictures, but cannot scale them down enough to upload.

The files are now only about 75k each and am gewtting error they need to be no more than 1000 x 1000. I have reduced resolution to 800 pixels / inch.

Can I email you these direct so you can confirm compatibility.

Pete

Sure. Email away

Send any pictures at a large size eg 1Mb so I can reduce them.

remove brackets from below to get email address

andy[.]atherton[@]fsmail[.]net

I'll see what I can do

Andy

guido said:

A cdm2 has a hall motor. The 4/31 does not iirc. I've seen claims that the hall motor is better (gives less pollution, electrically speaken).

There are cdm4's with hall, but not so many (4/11 and the metal one)

I know there are several difference.
I have the complete set of service manuals for the CDMs at home but not with me on this pc.

Andy

cdm2/10

Classic white version

Attachments

• cdm2.jpg
    cdm2.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 263

Attachments

• mission-cd.jpg
    mission-cd.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 263
Yep,

Looks like it's based on the philips cd650. Instead of the additional filter board, it's the mission pcb. With connection to front, so i guess it has volume control (?).

Main pcb looks similar, even the i/v opamps are still there.

In the us, it's a magnavox cdb650 (i've got one of those myself). They sold the old stack long ago in the philips shops (for staff).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.