Affordable transport? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th August 2008, 09:41 AM   #1
Shike is offline Shike  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Affordable transport?

Hi everyone,

I've been looking around questioning what type of transport I should get. Do you guys think it's worth hunting down a CDM4 based unit off Ebay? If not, what do you guys tend to recommend in general on a budget? Say, $150 and under?

Thanks in advance.
Old 28th August 2008, 09:20 PM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Take a look at the Shigaclone thread if you are up for some diy.. This is based on a mechanism removed from older JVC boom boxes, which just happen to use the same chipset/laser/mechanism as the 47Labs Shigaraki.

Getting the RCEZ31 is difficult, but it is fairly available in Canada and some members there have been making them available to members south of the border.

The RCEZ32 will also work but requires a lot more effort, and is also hard to find here.
Old 28th August 2008, 10:02 PM   #3
jonners is offline jonners  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The JVC RCEZ51 works as well as the 31 (I'm using one), but may only be available in Europe. There are some on UK eBay.
Old 29th August 2008, 02:10 AM   #4
Shike is offline Shike  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kevinkr
Take a look at the Shigaclone thread if you are up for some diy.. This is based on a mechanism removed from older JVC boom boxes, which just happen to use the same chipset/laser/mechanism as the 47Labs Shigaraki.

Getting the RCEZ31 is difficult, but it is fairly available in Canada and some members there have been making them available to members south of the border.

The RCEZ32 will also work but requires a lot more effort, and is also hard to find here.

While I'd be up for some DIY, it's far to hard to actually find the boombox in stock. I think doing the labor is actually the easy part in comparison

I'm thinking of upping my budget to $300, which brings a few other things into the picture.

I can get a Marantz CD5001 . . . but I was wondering if possibly upgrading my DAC and using a lower transport rather than a CDP would be a better solution?

Are there any DACs (diy or commercial) that would be a substantial upgrade over an Entech Number Cruncher 205.2 within that range? Used is also an option.

Hide this!Advertise here!