Marantz cd-67mk2 skipping - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th August 2008, 03:33 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Marantz cd-67mk2 skipping

Newbie here looking for help. love my music and did in the 90s spend a bit of money on the following.

Oblisk 2 amp
Marantz cd-67se cd player
B&W P4s
Can't remember the speaker cable or interconnects but they were all upgraded.

My problem is the CD player, it started to skip even on new clean disks. Plus we started to save music onto the computer and i connected the Amp to the computor and listened to music that way.

I'm not into spending 1000 and i don't get that much chance to listen to music at home but would like to play the odd CD.
Please help do i buy a second hand unit repair mine or buy a Cambridge Audio c5 for 100.
Plus i bought the Marantz new from 7oaks when they were being sold off, so i know it's been looked after ad had little use.

thanks for any help

Chris.
Old 27th August 2008, 03:39 PM   #2
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Silly question, maybe..... have you cleaned the laser lens?

Andy
Old 27th August 2008, 04:07 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

now don't shoot me but i did buy a lense cleaner but it was he cheap cd with the brushes on, if that makes sence!

Should i clean with cotton bud and some sort of turps?

Thanks for the reply, don't realy want to change the cd, it used to sound cracking when working.
Old 27th August 2008, 06:00 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Default Definitely not turps !!!

Lens cleaners with brushes are OK but it depends which type.

One has several small brushes (bristles) and is really useless.
The other has one or two larger brushes. This is better but in my opinion, after many years experience, is only effective if used wet. Some kits come with lens cleaning fluid otherwise a little isopropyl alcohol.

This is not as good as giving the mechanism a good clean!!

Removal is easy. Open the drawer and remove the front.
Carefully disconnect the ribbon, at board end only and the other connectors, remove 3 screws and hey presto.

You can then carefully clean the lens with a cotton bud dampened with lens cleaner.

Also clean the gears and slider mechanism of all grease deposits. These harden over time and prevent proper function. However, do NOT regrease !! Not required.

Reassembly is the reverse. Be careful with the ribbon. release the latching bar.

Should take 15mins start to end.

Good luck
Andy
Old 27th August 2008, 06:18 PM   #5
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Hello Poynton,
Seem to be following each other round at the moment Same interest in CD I guess. Is this a CDM 12.x ?
For the very brave see,
Stripdown/Clean of CDM12.4

and also
Lube for transport - need advice

A proper lens cleaning fluid is the best thing to use. Tease the end of the cotton out so it's not to hard. Don't wet the lens so it drys with marks on it. Interesting you mention iso. Sony used to recommend this in the early days, I remember them mentioning it in service manuals, and then they did a U turn on it's use. Some lenses use coated optics, the ones with a bluey purple tinge to them, and they said it could harm the coating.
Old 27th August 2008, 07:56 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks again. Update i've set the cd up again after not using it for a number of months. With some older scratched cds they wont even read. New cds will read but skip. The more i play the better it is.
I'll give the cleaning a go.
Old 27th August 2008, 07:56 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Definitely not turps !!!

Any chance of going into more detail on how to remove the cd tray, i don'twant to break it.
Quote:
Originally posted by poynton
Lens cleaners with brushes are OK but it depends which type.

One has several small brushes (bristles) and is really useless.
The other has one or two larger brushes. This is better but in my opinion, after many years experience, is only effective if used wet. Some kits come with lens cleaning fluid otherwise a little isopropyl alcohol.

This is not as good as giving the mechanism a good clean!!

Removal is easy. Open the drawer and remove the front.
Carefully disconnect the ribbon, at board end only and the other connectors, remove 3 screws and hey presto.

You can then carefully clean the lens with a cotton bud dampened with lens cleaner.

Also clean the gears and slider mechanism of all grease deposits. These harden over time and prevent proper function. However, do NOT regrease !! Not required.

Reassembly is the reverse. Be careful with the ribbon. release the latching bar.

Should take 15mins start to end.

Good luck
Andy
Old 27th August 2008, 08:26 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

power on
eject tray
switch off by removing plug from mains
remove tray front upwards
replace plug and close tray
unplug
remove player lid
remove ribbon cable from main board to cd mechanism (carefully lift retaining bar)
remove cables from cd mechanism to main board
remove 3 screws holding cd mechanism
remove mechanism
Old 27th August 2008, 09:15 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Cheers i'll give it a go.
Old 28th August 2008, 07:54 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

ok cd tray now out, i must say it does look very clean with no dust. I'll nip out later for some proper lens cleaning. I'm a bit dubious, if i'd seen lots of dust i'd be a bit more hopefull.

Thanks for the input, i'll report back later.

Cheers Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!