Pioneer PD-D9-J Service Manual

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For the price I have paid for it (625 EUR) it's difficult to find better player, if any. Build quality is exceptional. And it sounds excellent for the price paid.

There are some mods that could be done but I am still waiting for a while since it's still a brand new (5 months in use).

What I have done so far is a pretty usual stuff: dedicated power cord, spiked (cone) feet, some damping material inside and outside, all in all very beneficial.

I am happy so far. But it can do better, for shure.

Hi Bill,
I have pdf schematics of PD-D9-J and PD-D9-Mk2 and could send it to you. What kind of modifications are you planning? I think about adding a zapfilter as output stage and replacing carbon film resistors in the signal path.
The player comes with low 168ps jitter. So, a clock-upgrade is not needed.

Cheers!
Hannes

Hi Bill,
I have pdf schematics of PD-D9-J and PD-D9-Mk2 and could send it to you. What kind of modifications are you planning? I think about adding a zapfilter as output stage and replacing carbon film resistors in the signal path.
The player comes with low 168ps jitter. So, a clock-upgrade is not needed.

Cheers!
Hannes

Thanks for the offer Hannes. I sent you a PM.

Hannes came through. Thanks a bunch!. He actually had the Mk2 version also. I haven't had a chance to compare them, but Hannes told me he couldn't find any differences in the schematics which is crazy.

In the US, Pioneer raised the MSRP by $500 for the Mk2 version. An extra $500 for cosmetic changes and a different remote? I don't think so. I picked up my D9-J for less than half the original list price and it really is a steal. I think it will be a real performer with a few upgrades.

After spending an hour comparing the Mk2 schematics to the original D9, I can verify that there is little, if no significant changes at all. Possibly some altered part choices (mainly caps) and possibly a different crystal for the 22.5792Mhz clock signal. Absolutely no topology change anywhere.

So, I have an old unused pair of Blackgate NX-HQ 47uF/6.3V in my parts bin that are just begging to replace the output coupling caps (C1109/C1209).

Although Pioneer originally used 50V caps, does anyone see a reason why those 6.3V caps wouldn't be sufficient? I wouldn't expect much DC voltage coming off those OPA2134.

So, I have an old unused pair of Blackgate NX-HQ 47uF/6.3V in my parts bin that are just begging to replace the output coupling caps (C1109/C1209).

Although Pioneer originally used 50V caps, does anyone see a reason why those 6.3V caps wouldn't be sufficient? I wouldn't expect much DC voltage coming off those OPA2134.

Do you have an input coupling cap already installed at the next stage (dac, preamp etc)?

If you have, you can replace that cap with the wire link.

That cap is also bypassed with a smaller (0.1uF) polypropylene film cap which should then be also removed.

Good quality film cap at the input of the next stage is probably a better solution.

pioneer PD-D9j

Hi. Does anyone have the service manual for Pioneer PD-D9j CD SACD player? I would love to have a copy for trying to fix it. The problem is a annoying noise superimposed to out signal when a SACD is playing. Reproduction of CD is apparently regular. Thanks. Paolo.
ppuggio@alice.it

Manual find, Thanks. Now I'll try to fix an annoying issue which consists in a noise (it seems to be a not filtered digital residue) superimposed to output audio signal in both channels only in SACD play mode. Does anyone experienced such a problem? Regards. Paolo.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.