Rega Planet "power-out" - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th November 2009, 12:03 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Smile Rega Planet "power-out"

Hi everyone,

I had the same problem with my Rega plannet CD player year ago and had to give up using the CD. Contacted Rega for the possible advise and possibly to get it repaired, but did not get any reply or help.
Contacted Rega dealers in the area and they suggested that least it will cost £100, just to send this to Rega for repair.

Finally I saw your advice and, yesterday I changed all the IN4003 diodes as suggested, Bought from Maplin (costs on 68P for all 4 of them) here we go player is now working brilliantly. I would have spent £ 100ís if your advice werenít there.

I would like to tank all you guys and the forum for the advice!!
Old 13th November 2009, 12:31 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Interesting this topic came alive today.
Yesterday I was modding (again) my Rega Planet (2000 version). I replaced both voltage regulator capacitors. I'm waiting to the schottkys to arrive to replace the original standard diodes.
I have made a lot of mods in my Planet and never seen anyone interested on that. I have a lot of information and pictures about the mods and I can share here the ideas if somebody is interested.

thanks
Highef
Old 24th February 2011, 03:22 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default thanks!!

@joostein - Thanks for starting this thread, it really saved the day for me and my Planet.

@BEAR-K and Mooly - Thanks for the great advice! How on earth did anyone ever figure out this fix?

@highef - Share your mods!

My Planet was powering out randomly and often, starting a few years ago...and for a time wouldn't power on at all. I was --><-- close to pitching it when I gave it one last try to power-on, and it did....so I kept it around thinking maybe there was hope. As it turned out, thanks to you all, there was hope!

I replaced the 4 diodes last night and after a day of testing it seems to be working perfectly again.

Hats-off to you all!

--LouMinaughty
Old 3rd September 2012, 07:42 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default Which diode for the Planet

Hello Everyone,

I read you posts with major interest as my Planet (1st version) is suffering from the same symptoms.
In one of the first posts, Bear-K, you mention that you replaced the diodes with "better fast rise time Schottky diodes".
Mooly, you suggested replacing the 1N4003 with 1N4004, which are (to my understanding) similar to 1N4003 but can stand higher reverse voltage... but which are not Shottkies.
Waj2005, I understand that you merely replace the old diodes with the same 1N4003 (maybe a wrong interpretation).
I also find a very interesting thread here, Digital Drive: Tweaks for Rega Planet, the long, unabridged version by Carlos where Schottkies are recommended.
I'm just wondering why Schottkies are recommended, and if 1N4003 or 4 would do a similar job here. I'm suspecting that replacing with the same part may turn the issue to come up again... but on the other hand, 1N400x are so much more easy to find.
I would appreciate your guidance before I open the player.
Thanks...
Old 6th October 2012, 08:00 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hi all,

It is a bit strange to answer my own post, but this is just to let you know that I finally used BYV 10-40 because I could not find 11DQ10... and this solved the problem too. Just in case this may help.

Cheers.
Old 7th October 2012, 11:40 AM   #16
Mooly is online now Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Missed your post first time around but pleased to hear you have fixed your player
Old 9th October 2012, 08:47 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

There is an additional thread to the Rega Planet:
Rega Planet 2000

Hide this!Advertise here!