Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th August 2008, 04:31 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default CD player not working fine, help needed

Hi all,
Help needed. I took out my old Sony CD player & spin some CDs, it can played fine but after a while, it displayed ďNo discĒ. I removed the cover but couldnít find anything abnormal.
The next day, the same thing happened. I noticed the first few times, the disc is spinning fast therefore no problem playing it. But when the problem (no disc) happened, the CD spin just a few rounds (very weak).
I donít think itís the motor nor the lens because it can play the first few times.
Any idea or feedback?
Thanks!
Old 18th August 2008, 06:39 AM   #2
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Model number ? What type of pickup is it, eg KSSxxx . Have you actually tried cleaning the lens properly.
Old 18th August 2008, 06:51 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi,
It's Sony CDP-590, 1990 model. I'm not sure about the lens assy. I sure did clean the lens. It can play for the first 1-2 CDs, I think could it be some components got heat up after a short while.
Old 18th August 2008, 07:04 AM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

Without test equipment it's hard to say. To be honest, most faults are down to the very two items you mention. You need to connect a 'scope to the RF signal (eye pattern) to determine both it's amplitude and general quality.
Have worked on 1000's of audio units, and pickup and spindle motor problems top the list. Its worth disconnecting the spindle motor and applying a 9 volt battery for 5 secs or so each way round to help clean up the commutator ( assuming it's a DC motor. )
I would go for the pickup -- the type number is on the side.
Old 18th August 2008, 07:12 AM   #5
xaudiox is offline xaudiox  Philippines
diyAudio Member

KSS-210A is the pickup assembly of CDP-590..

http://www.vasiltech.nm.ru/files/cd-...ransport.htm#S
Old 18th August 2008, 02:35 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi,
Thanks for the advice.
Is it easy to replace the pickup lens?
Iím not sure about the price yet but Iím wondering if itís worth to replace it.
Old 18th August 2008, 02:43 PM   #7
xaudiox is offline xaudiox  Philippines
diyAudio Member

you can buy the lens in ebay for less than 10$.. yeah its easy to replace the lens, its worth the effort..
Old 18th August 2008, 04:06 PM   #8
diyAudio Moderator

As easy as it looks No just joking, really it's easy. Just make sure you get the correct suffix a,b etc and remember once it's in and not before, to unsolder the little "shorting" blob of solder on it.
Old 19th August 2008, 04:07 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi,
OK, I managed to find out from my brother, he did dismantle the whole transport assy before. When he re-installed back, somehow it wasnít done right.
Last night upon checking, found the CD was wobbling (quite bad) during the initial spin. I removed the 3 screws that secured the whole assy & tried to re-install it properly, that is minimize the tilting. Load the CD & it works for now.
I still see some wobbling (maybe itís normal) when the CD spins but I guess thatís not much I can improve on it. Am I right?
Moving forward I would like to upsize the 2 big capacitors (from 4700uF 16V to 10000uF 16V), the ones right after the bridge diode. And also replace the original small bridge diodes to those big Soft recovery ultra fast type (SBYV28-200).
Based on these upgrade, will I cause any damage down the circuit chain?
Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 19th August 2008, 06:21 AM   #10
diyAudio Moderator

The CD should not "wobble" at all. If it doesn't run true this is either dirt on the platter or damage of some sort. Or possibly the magnetic clamp not seating correctly. If this isn't right you are wasting your time trying anything else. Spin the CD slowly by hand and look at the edge. Anything much more than the thickness of a piece of paper "wobble" at the outer edge and it's not good enough.
The PSU mods won't cause any problem.

Hide this!Advertise here!