CD player not working fine, help needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
Help needed. I took out my old Sony CD player & spin some CDs, it can played fine but after a while, it displayed “No disc”. I removed the cover but couldn’t find anything abnormal.
The next day, the same thing happened. I noticed the first few times, the disc is spinning fast therefore no problem playing it. But when the problem (no disc) happened, the CD spin just a few rounds (very weak).
I don’t think it’s the motor nor the lens because it can play the first few times.
Any idea or feedback?
Thanks!

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Without test equipment it's hard to say. To be honest, most faults are down to the very two items you mention. You need to connect a 'scope to the RF signal (eye pattern) to determine both it's amplitude and general quality.
Have worked on 1000's of audio units, and pickup and spindle motor problems top the list. Its worth disconnecting the spindle motor and applying a 9 volt battery for 5 secs or so each way round to help clean up the commutator ( assuming it's a DC motor. )
I would go for the pickup -- the type number is on the side.

Hi,
OK, I managed to find out from my brother, he did dismantle the whole transport assy before. When he re-installed back, somehow it wasn’t done right.
Last night upon checking, found the CD was wobbling (quite bad) during the initial spin. I removed the 3 screws that secured the whole assy & tried to re-install it properly, that is minimize the tilting. Load the CD & it works for now.
I still see some wobbling (maybe it’s normal) when the CD spins but I guess that’s not much I can improve on it. Am I right?
Moving forward I would like to upsize the 2 big capacitors (from 4700uF 16V to 10000uF 16V), the ones right after the bridge diode. And also replace the original small bridge diodes to those big Soft recovery ultra fast type (SBYV28-200).
Based on these upgrade, will I cause any damage down the circuit chain?
Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The CD should not "wobble" at all. If it doesn't run true this is either dirt on the platter or damage of some sort. Or possibly the magnetic clamp not seating correctly. If this isn't right you are wasting your time trying anything else. Spin the CD slowly by hand and look at the edge. Anything much more than the thickness of a piece of paper "wobble" at the outer edge and it's not good enough.
The PSU mods won't cause any problem.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
It used to be possible to get them years ago, but where in your part of the world I don't know. Can you not see where it wobbles. The disc sits on the platter and the magnetic clamp sits on top of the disc--- there's nothing else. If the platter wobbles its either damaged or the motor shaft is bent or there is something stuck to it lifting the disc. Once the disc is in the machine it really does just sit on the platter alone. Have another look :)

Mooly said:
Can you not see where it wobbles. The disc sits on the platter and the magnetic clamp sits on top of the disc--- there's nothing else. If the platter wobbles its either damaged or the motor shaft is bent or there is something stuck to it lifting the disc. Once the disc is in the machine it really does just sit on the platter alone. Have another look :)

...of course make sure that the clamp clamps!

I have this problem occasionally on a Philips mech: the clamp became slippery (but on Philips it is not magnetic, just springs) and sometimes doesn't want to hold the disc properly.

Dismantling Sony's KSS's, make sure you remember how the platter lifting gears (below the platter, not easy to see) are assembled: once it took me the longest time to resynchronize things properly.

Last thing: if you change the laser piece, don't forget that new heads may have a solder bridge that needs to be undone. I think it is a protection (from static electricity?) that shorts "something" that is not supposed to be shorted when in operation.

_

OK, it didn’t really work though. Load the 1st CD, after 5 songs, on the 6th song 11sec it stops playing.
Reload the CD again, the same wobbling & fails to spin rapidly appears again.
Refer to the photo –
1. The belt (red arrow) is pretty loose but I think it’s for opening/closing of the tray, am I right? There’s no problem with the tray.
2. The clamp plate (not shown here) seems alright, there’s no wear & tear part.
3. I’m not sure if this rubber piece (yellow arrow) has worn out & lose the grip. Possible? This is where the CD sits during spinning.
4. There are 4 springs beneath the 4 corners (circle in green), maybe the spring force is weaken, any idea?
Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
SonyCDPtransport.jpg
[/IMG]

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi,
Belt and gears are for tray. The four springs isolate the chassis from vibration --won't be that.
The turntable the CD sits on. Put a CD on here. Put an upturned weight such as an eggcup over the center of the disc to weight it down. Look at the CD edge on and gently turn by hand. Try and line the outer edge up visually with something so you can see it more clearly. Any up/down movement and there is a problem with either the spindle being bent or something amiss with the turntable itself.
If that's OK then make sure as pilli suggests that the clamp itself actually sits properly on the CD.
The disc has to spin true before we even think about any other problems. And it's possible there may be more than one fault such as the sled sticking as the pickup moves toward the outer edge.
Get the wobble fixed first.

Hi Mooly,
Thanks for the advice, I think u are right. I did what u said, to the best of my eye sight, the disc wobble & a bit out of center (not much) when rotates. The clamp is magnetic, I placed a flat piece of round magnet on it, seems to work.
Looks like I have to replace the whole unit, I can’t dismantle the motor.
Have to order like this unit –
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vestax-Replacem...3495999QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

But then I’m not sure whether it’s compatible even the lens pickup unit is.
A silly question here: is there a way to replace it with a Philips VAM1202 linear tracking CD transport mechanism?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Make sure the 4 rubber grommets on the chassis are installed correctly - should IMO look the same on both sides of the mechanism chassis plate. If the chassis does not sit at the right height relative to the cd top clamp (which is probably in a fixed bridge over the chassis) the clamp will not apply enough pressure to the disk to clamp it to the surface of the platter, wobble and slippage with toc read errors will be the result.

I once owned a similar vintage Sony that could have this issue due to the grommets.. (And they popped out when I removed the chassis.)

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi,
Check the grommets as Kevin says, but failing that you need an exact replacement. If you can see it wobble you should be able to determine exactly why. You can order individual parts, motor turntable etc but I think you are going to run into problems.
I don't really think you perhaps have the experience to do this, and I don't want you to order parts or a chassis that's not quite right and so on.
You can't fit anything other than the correct part. Thats a definite no ;)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Assyst1606 said:
Hi Mooly,
Thanks for the advice, I think u are right. I did what u said, to the best of my eye sight, the disc wobble & a bit out of center (not much) when rotates. The clamp is magnetic, I placed a flat piece of round magnet on it, seems to work.
Looks like I have to replace the whole unit, I can’t dismantle the motor.
Have to order like this unit –
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vestax-Replacem...3495999QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

But then I’m not sure whether it’s compatible even the lens pickup unit is.
A silly question here: is there a way to replace it with a Philips VAM1202 linear tracking CD transport mechanism?

:no: No.. And in any event Philips cd mechs IMHO = garbage :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.