Marantz CD 67 showing error code 13! help?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everybody!

Registered a couple of days ago so new to the forum. I recently bought a CD67 for a fiver and decided to mod it. the player worked perfectly before the mods, but now when I switch it on the disc spins and won't register the contents. I have a service manual which I have used to put the unit into service mode, and check everything is working properly eg sled, radial, focus etc.. and it all seems to work no problem. I have also tryed putting a disc in when the unit is in service mode to see if it will play or register, but the same thing happens and it comes up with error code 13 (spindle error). I have tested the mechanical part of the unit in a CD 63 that I also have. This involved removing the servo PCB and putting the 63 one onto the 67 drawer and then testing which all worked perfectly. So wondered if any of you kindly folk would have any ideas on how to solve the problem and what to try next.

Many thanks

Ross

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
O.K. So it was fine when you got it. Then you modded it. Now it's pancaked ;) You have broken it haven't you.
Does this use the CDM12.1 mech. Can you pin the "fault" down to a PCB etc. I kept re-reading your post but am still confused :)
It sounds like you can swap mechs over ( or it it servo boards ) and both players work.
What were the "mods", maybe retracing your steps might help.

RE:

Hi Mooly!

Thanks for your reply!

Yes unfortunately it is a little on the sh***ed side at the moment!Sorry for the confusion! The mech's are exactly the same but the PCB's are different, so it was just a case of swapping the PCB's round and testing the mechs in each chassis. They both worked in the 63 chassis but not in the 67. This to me would indicate that there is no problem with the mech itself, but there must be a problem somewhere on the main or servo PCB, although I don't know where. The unit does have the CDM12.1 mech. I used the CD67mkII mod sheet from Ray's sight and will list what I did below:

Power supply:
replaced all except 1u MKT and 220n MKT bypass capacitors.
Op amps:
Only replaced: C611-614, C651-654 with elna silmics, and Epcos resistors in R613-616
Output filter:
replaced nothing
DAC section:
replaced all
Decoder:
Replaced all except; C125, R117/118
Controller:
replaced all except; CY01 in parallel (which way round)
Drivers:
replaced all
Servo PCB:
replaced all but didn't use 100n PPS bypass capacitor

Also performed all the mods in the noise reduction section.

Thats it! hope this doesn't make your head spin to much! If you or anybody else out there has any other suggestions they would be me much appreciated!

Cheers

Ross

One of the big problems with the Marantz CD63 / CD67 is lifted tracks or cracks in the tracks.

The only way to see this is to clean of the solder with solder wick and carefully examine with a magnifying glass before resoldering.

I hope you did not carry out all the above mods in one hit. Far easier to troubleshoot problems if you do a little at a time - a lesson learned over 40+ years!

Andy

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi,
Thats a long list :) A fault like this, that is "man made" is virtually impossible to diagnose at a distance. It has to be something you have done, it could be anything !!
As Poynton say's, if you did ( and we don't know ) all that in one go it's asking for problems.
Don't know what to suggest really. Nothing easy anyway, it's a case of proper fault finding now, starting with the focus OK signal and presence of "RF" and working from there. Oh and check all the supplies at their destinations, it's surprising how many problems come back to a PSU issue.
Depending on your experience and what test equipment you have you may just have to put this one down to experience.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.