SSD vs Hard Drive - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th August 2008, 04:45 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sq225917
Simple test.

Add independtant regulation for every part of the pc, seperate out any effect that the HD power supply draw has and then see if it sounds different.

I'd lay good money on it being power supply related and nothing else.
Old 9th August 2008, 05:07 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sq225917
Simple test.

Add independtant regulation for every part of the pc, seperate out any effect that the HD power supply draw has and then see if it sounds different.

I'd lay good money on it being power supply related and nothing else.
You don't have to do that. Others have done it and report good results.

That's what I mentioned above. PowerSupply issues are of course a big issue.
If you then have a bad MB things are getting worse.

In the end the "realtime"-stream will suffer as soon as he leaves the last point of control.
Old 9th August 2008, 06:01 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I haven't been there and done it all but I do know that any audible difference will not be related to SSD vs. HD per se. It could be the power supply or, if using some transport medium (firewire, SPDI/F, USB etc..), it could be that as well. But it is not the storage medium itself.
Old 10th August 2008, 02:03 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

If everything else in the chain is exactly the same and the only difference is the medium (SSD vs HDD), there can be no difference as the bits coming from both are identical. HDD rotational noise can have no impact on the digital bits being read. If they did, then all your files would be corrupt. If there really is a sound difference, and this can be verified through a blind A/B test, then you need to look at what is different within the chain.
Alternatively, have one setup and simply hot swap the HDD and SSD and do a blind test. Bet you wouldn't be able tell the difference
Old 10th August 2008, 06:36 AM   #15
ific is offline ific  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Totally hocus pocus.

Ummmmm....wait....wait....He is right....my pictures look much better when I see them from my SD card instead of my HDD. I look younger and healthier

Please stop this.

Ific
Old 11th August 2008, 06:43 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

The only reason i mentioned it is because my cd player sounds much better now that it has local regulation on the servo board...

Why would that be? It's only 0's and 1's after all...

noise coupling in the power supplies can take place anywhere inside the unit, it might have nothing to do with the data stream and everything to do with the differences in the power consumption of the two storage media.
Old 12th August 2008, 12:23 PM   #17
owen is offline owen  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Ok.

This will be a PSU 'problem' due to the intrinsic nature of the read, buffer, replay chain within a PC (or equivalent).

The HD in a mechanical system has two modes - read/write and spin.

Spin is a very low power consumption mode, just keeping the disk up to speed, and as a result the PSU load is small. PC regulators are designed to handle higher loading, but work 'ok' at low loads.

When in Read/Write mode, the head movement and coander effects alter the power requirement, and the disk draws lots more current. This loads the PSU more effectively, improving the regulation.

As the disk is read in 'bursts' the PSU loading/unloading will potentially be audible.

SSDs have identical power demands irrespective of idling, or read/writing, so the PSU demand remains the same.

How audible this is I dont know, but I do know that you can hear the difference between a PSU with a noise floor 100db down, against a PSU with a noise floor 120db down... which seems to suggest that there may be a difference.

My quart of petrol.

Owen
Old 12th August 2008, 12:31 PM   #18
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

PSU issues are not to be taken lightly, even decent PCI cards (Audiotrak Prodigy 192, ESI Juli to some extent) produce audible noise on my ancient PC when the hard drive seeks. Yet I agree that it is the only possible explanation for the SSD being superior statement.
Old 13th August 2008, 04:36 PM   #19
owen is offline owen  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
the SSD being superior statement
Not necessarily so - just more consistant.

If you provided a seperate PSU for the HD, and another high quality low power for the sound card, I suspect that the standard machine with SSD would have a hard time.

Just my 2 cents

Owen
Old 14th August 2008, 12:52 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

I'm in agreement with Owen here.

Most differences in sound quality that 'theoretcially' should not exist between digital sources can be traced back to power supply.

Hide this!Advertise here!