rotel rcd 975

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a rotel RCD 975, the gear on the cd transport is missing all of its teeth and will no longer open door. I am looking for information on where to find replacement gear and how to replace gear in unit I have remove the top cover and can see that the teeth are missing for the gear, and have removed the 3 (two in the front of the tray and one in the middle of the rear) visiable screws that appear to hold down the transport but something else is hold it down I have not gone any further due to fear of breaking something. I not sure the exact year of the CD player but I think somewhere in the 1994 to 1995 time frame. I have read some posting but none have listed the RCD 975 model exactly. Need help I am stuck in the middle of Iowa and have no one I would trust to work on the unit.

p.s. any information on the subject would be greatly appericated.

I didn't read the mentioned thread, but I have done this repair to both an RCD-970BX and RCD-975, both having the same mechanism.

First, you are going about removing the gear in the wrong way (sorry!). The transport mechanism does NOT have to come out. Here is how to do it:

1. Remove the top cover, which you've done.

2. Remove the bottom cover. This requires removing the obvious screws on the bottom of the chassis. The bottom cover won't come off yet! See the next step.

3. There should be a sticker on the bottom cover telling you to remove 2 more screws marked with an arrow on the inside of the player. It sounds like you have removed one. There is another. Both screws are gold/silver in color, not black like the ones you removed from the outside of the player. Now the bottom cover should come off.

4. Put the player upside down and you will see a rectangular metal plate with 2 Torx style screws next to the transport mechanism. Remove this plate and you will have access to the tray gear. Now it's just a simple process of replacing the gear and reassembly.

Now, where to get the gear...
Rotel USA will sell you a new gear for about $25, which is probably the same crappy plastic one that came with the player and will get brittle over time, breaking again.
I have had good luck with some sellers on ebay selling gears made of a more pliable plastic that will last longer. Plus, they throw in a new drive belt. Here is a link to one I just bought a few weeks ago from a good seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tray-Gear-wheel...ViewItem?hash=item280251619482&_trkparms=39:1

I recommend going this route. It has worked for me both times.
Reply here if you need more help! :)

rotel rcd975

To Rodmunch,

This is naladog and i have recievied the gear from the link you sent me and it showed up a couple of days ago and i have been looking at trying the get the nerve up and do it, and i have to say your directions were OUTSANDING that was a piece of cake so i cant say enough, thank you, it worked like a charm.

Thanks to DIY audio

Naladog

Replaced drawer gear, now display panel doesn't work

Hope someone will read this even if the thread is more than 3 years old....

I replaced the drawer gear and belt, following Rodmunch' instructions. Great instructions, BTW.

Now the drawer works (if I open it manually and turn on the unit, it closes), but the display panel doesn't anymore:( It does not display anything, and push buttons do nothing.

Note that I also put some sound deadening material (B-Quiet) inside the bottom panel before putting it back, after reading it could help limiting vibrations and improve the overall sound.

Not sure where to start with my problem. Every pin on the display panel connector has some voltage (all different), but I don't know what voltage should be on each one. And I don't see any loose connection. Maybe some case grounding no more allowed by the deadening material? But still, all metal parts of the case seem connected together.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Wow I haven't been to this forum in quite a while! I miss this place. :)

newdiyer, I would assume a loose connection too. Maybe it's possible that the sound deadening material is touching or pushing against the circuit board or other part? I would suggest taking all the covers off and seeing if the screen and buttons work. Sorry for the late reply, hopefully you have fixed it already.

Actually, you're not that late since I haven't taken time to fix it yet - planning to do so sometime in the summer.
I first thought about the deadning material causing problems, so all tests were performed without any cover. I have received great help on
this other thread.

I ended ordering a new display panel processor, but haven't installed it yet.

Thanks for your advice anyway.

Thanks, this was very helpful! :):):):)

I didn't read the mentioned thread, but I have done this repair to both an RCD-970BX and RCD-975, both having the same mechanism.

First, you are going about removing the gear in the wrong way (sorry!). The transport mechanism does NOT have to come out. Here is how to do it:

1. Remove the top cover, which you've done.

2. Remove the bottom cover. This requires removing the obvious screws on the bottom of the chassis. The bottom cover won't come off yet! See the next step.

3. There should be a sticker on the bottom cover telling you to remove 2 more screws marked with an arrow on the inside of the player. It sounds like you have removed one. There is another. Both screws are gold/silver in color, not black like the ones you removed from the outside of the player. Now the bottom cover should come off.

4. Put the player upside down and you will see a rectangular metal plate with 2 Torx style screws next to the transport mechanism. Remove this plate and you will have access to the tray gear. Now it's just a simple process of replacing the gear and reassembly.

Now, where to get the gear...
Rotel USA will sell you a new gear for about $25, which is probably the same crappy plastic one that came with the player and will get brittle over time, breaking again.
I have had good luck with some sellers on ebay selling gears made of a more pliable plastic that will last longer. Plus, they throw in a new drive belt. Here is a link to one I just bought a few weeks ago from a good seller:

Tray Gear wheel for Philips Marantz CDM9 CDM 9 PRO | eBay

I recommend going this route. It has worked for me both times.
Reply here if you need more help! :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.