Phillips CD player - can I replace a PCB pushbutton switch? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd July 2008, 08:39 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Phillips CD player - can I replace a PCB pushbutton switch?

Sorry, beginner's question.

I'm looking at a Phillips-based Mission PCM II CD player and the "play" button isn't very reliable - you often have to stab it twice or three times before it works. I've removed the control panel and underneath, the PCB has an array of identical pushbutton switches that are operated by the corresponding buttons on the fascia. I imagine they're Phillips standard issue - they're just little cubes with a blue circle on the top which pushes in to operate the switch.

Can anyone tell me what these switches are called and whether replacements are still available? I've tried spraying the existing one with De-Oxit but it doesn't make any difference.
Old 22nd July 2008, 08:45 PM   #2
amc184 is offline amc184  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Sounds like a tactile switch, which are most certainly still available. Post a picture and I could be sure.
Old 22nd July 2008, 09:23 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by amc184
Sounds like a tactile switch, which are most certainly still available. Post a picture and I could be sure.
Thanks, amc184. I've Googled tactile switch and it's certainly that kind of thing. I'll try to photograph it tomorrow evening (Wednesday). In the meantime, like I said, the pushbutton part of the switch is blue. Also, it doesn't protrude upwards beyond the body of the switch, it looks more like a flat disc that pushes in.
Old 23rd July 2008, 08:45 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

OK, here sooner than expected is an image (if I can get it to load). Looking more closely, the blue pushbotton does protrude very slightly above the body of the switch, by about 1mm.

If anyone can help me identify these switches, I would be very grateful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tactile.jpg (30.3 KB, 193 views)
Old 23rd July 2008, 09:02 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Why not swap the play switch with a less often used one?

You will also find out if it is the switch that's faulty.

But be careful with soldering.

sp
Old 23rd July 2008, 09:15 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stoolpigeon
Why not swap the play switch with a less often used one?

You will also find out if it is the switch that's faulty.

But be careful with soldering.

sp
Yes, an excellent suggestion and one that occurred to me. However, I'm very worried about the soldering - I've no experience doing PCBs - so it's not something I can easily play around with. I was thinking of just getting a new switch and then finding someone who could do the soldering for me. (Hangs head in shame.)
Old 23rd July 2008, 09:39 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

What about first checking the function of the switch by pushing on it directly?

Just be careful if you have the front panel removed that you are not exposed to 240V.

sp
Old 23rd July 2008, 10:01 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stoolpigeon
What about first checking the function of the switch by pushing on it directly?

Just be careful if you have the front panel removed that you are not exposed to 240V.

sp
Hmm, interesting idea - it'll be very awkward because the front panel and the CD drawer are sort of intertwined in such a way that the drawer has to be open when the front panel is off. But I'll have another look at it this evening to see if I can manage it, taking care to avoid electrocuting myself of course.
Old 23rd July 2008, 10:20 AM   #9
amc184 is offline amc184  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

I wouldn't swap the switch for one you use less; this is robbing Peter to pay Paul. This switch from Farnell looks to be a suitable replacement, and its hardly costly.
Old 23rd July 2008, 10:55 AM   #10
Mooly is online now Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

They are called "Tact" switches. Some have longer shaft than others, find an old scrap video or something. Use solder braid to remove -- don't overheat them, and read on ohms. They normally read short top to bottom ( I know it depends which way you hold it ) and the switch connects left to right. Just measure one first. In fact just check anyway that there are no dry joints on the switch itself.

Hide this!Advertise here!