Any new digital filters ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For DIY, small quantities: PMD-100 still takes the cake including for non-HDCD sources.

Has stood the test of time. Clean, liquid sonics. Internal registering/reclocking, separate i/o and core power and ground pins.

No worries of reverse engineered fakes: buy from someone you can return to, if it decodes HDCD, it is the real thing.

Re: your earlier post: the guys who did this one took the factors you are inquiring about into consideration. They have described it as a good set of tradeoffs when reproducing music, while still having decent steady-state specs.

Share and enjoy,

WMS

wildmonkeysects said:
For DIY, small quantities: PMD-100 still takes the cake including for non-HDCD sources.

Has stood the test of time. Clean, liquid sonics. Internal registering/reclocking, separate i/o and core power and ground pins.

No worries of reverse engineered fakes: buy from someone you can return to, if it decodes HDCD, it is the real thing.

WMS

It's a pity the digital filter section of the Wolfson WM8741 dac cant
be isolated and used alone.

http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/uploads/documents/en/WM8741_Rev1.4.pdf

It's really the first DF that offers some -real- options WRT non
half band and minimum phase responses.

WRT PMD100, what makes this filter better than say a DF1704?

cheers

Terry

Re: PMD 100 ???

percy said:
has anyone thought about rolling their own ?
with the advancements in microcontrollers today it might not be too difficult to diy a great integer upsampler!

Do a search, I'm sure there is already a thread on this.

irgendjemand said:

Nothing. Just for HDCD, may be... The DF 1704 is the better one. There has always been certain romanticism around here.
:angel:

Thats the feeling I got, also 1704 has added choice of slow roll off.

T

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
Perhaps it's a matter of taste?

There is quite a nice comparison between the PMD-100, PMD-200 and DF-1704 to be found here:
http://www.jeffchan.com/audio/filter-comparison.html

The DF1704 didn't fare particularly well.

Comparing the PMD-100 to DF1704, the 1704 was harder, grainier and generally sounded like it had less resolution. Applause at the end of Hotel California on the Eagles' reunion album was harsh and unpleasant on the 1704 and much smoother and "rounder," yet clearer and much more distinct on the PMD-100.

I haven't listened to the DF1704, but I've had long familiarity with the PMD100 - i used a PMD-100 equipped assemblage DAC 2.0 for about 10 years - and recently compared it with SM5842APT in a D1V3. I felt the SM5842APT was more detailed and gave a better presentation overall. The PMD100 seemed to be slightly rolled off in the higher frequencies to my ears.

Re: PMD 100 ???

irgendjemand said:
Nothing. Just for HDCD, may be... The DF 1704 is the better one. There has always been certain romanticism around here.
:angel:

The PMD100 is generally considered superior to the DF1704, which is average at best.

spzzzzkt said:
Perhaps it's a matter of taste?

There is quite a nice comparison between the PMD-100, PMD-200 and DF-1704 to be found here:
http://www.jeffchan.com/audio/filter-comparison.html

The DF1704 didn't fare particularly well.

I haven't listened to the DF1704, but I've had long familiarity with the PMD100 - i used a PMD-100 equipped assemblage DAC 2.0 for about 10 years - and recently compared it with SM5842APT in a D1V3. I felt the SM5842APT was more detailed and gave a better presentation overall. The PMD100 seemed to be slightly rolled off in the higher frequencies to my ears.

So you compared one filter in one DAC, versus another filter in a completely different DAC? :rolleyes:

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
Re: Re: PMD 100 ???

Cauhtemoc said:

The PMD100 is generally considered superior to the DF1704, which is average at best.

So you compared one filter in one DAC, versus another filter in a completely different DAC? :rolleyes:

Sorry I wasn't particularly clear: PMD-100 and SM5842APT were both tested in the D1V3. The SM5842 plugs straight in, while the PMD-100 is mounted on one of Spencer's adapter boards. I think this is a pretty fair comparison.

The D1V3 replaced the Assemblage DAC 2.0 earlier this year after 10 years service. I actually bought the PMD-100 and adapter because I'd enjoyed the sound of the DAC 2.0 and was pretty keen to hear how the PMD-100 sounded in the more plush surroundings of the balanced PCM63's. Even listening with a desire to like the PMD-100 I think the SM5842 still has a slight edge in performance.

I'd also observe that Jeff Chan's comments seem to show a preference for the "rounded". Perhaps it's a case that what he calls harshness is another listeners detailed?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.