1985 Philips CD-104 player... does not work anymore - Need HELP please!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone,
this is my first post within this forum... unfortunately I have to start with a help request...
I am actually dealing with a 1985 Philips CD-104 unit. It used to work fine, until I opened it in order to replace the cables ending with the two RCA connectors... To get more room during the work, I removed the two screws which held in place the power supply "block", situated in the back of the unit... i didn't remove anything else. When I had done the job, I reassembled everything and replugged in the unit.
But... it did not turned on like it used to do... after pressing the "power" switch, nothing happened.
What should I do? Could you give me any advice to fix this issue, annd to get this wonderful player - which hadn't had any issue for 22 years - working?
Also I would appreciate if someone could send me a pdf copy of the service manual for this unit, in English or Italian... I read in an old thread that some users of this forum possess it...
P.S. I hope to have expressed myself in a good way (I still have to improve my English...). Anyway I've attached some images, to get it clear....
Thanks in advance for your support!

Attachments

• cd104-f2.jpg
    cd104-f2.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 382
First of all, many thanks to Andy for his fast reply...
Actually, I didn't have to discard any connector (only changed the audio output cable and unscrewed the two screws in the back, showed in the picture...). So wrong connections should be to esclude...
I had already thought about checking/replacing fuses... but the matter is that I don't know where they're located (that is the reason why I've been looking for the service manual...).
Hoping that it is not a stupid question (it might be, as I'm not a pro in fixing these devices :) ), could someone tell me where these fuses are ? I don't want to risk to furtherly damage the unit while searching them...

Furthermore, I pray anyone who possess the manual and/or the schematics for this unit to send it to me (as I read on the "Philips CD104 tweaks", some user of this 4um should have it...)

Thanks to Andy and to everyone who will contribute in helping me...

Wow, that must be one of the earliest CD players! The big PSU heat sink in the back is a trip.

I'm asuming that you've followed the AC cable's path into the power transformer... that probably involves removing the aluminium shield that appears on the right in the back view. If you trace that wire through the trace and into the transformer, it should hit a fuse somewhere along the way. Assuming a fuse is the problem, that should be it.

CD104 SM
Hope this link works, it took a while to upload :D as it's >12Mb. ( edit....It works, just scroll down the page )

I understand that it's one of the best lasers sitting in there, so should be worth keeping alive.
I have a CD100, the first, and it still plays wonderful.

Look carefully for wires that might have loosened, that sometimes happens with those old players when they get opened up.

Best regards
Ebbe

@ QSerraTico_Tico:
I ain't gonna trash it, for sure!
If I won't be able to get it working, I'll get it serviced by a repair station...
This unit is one of the first CD players designed by Philips (in particular, as far as I know it should be the first one where the disc is loaded by means of a tray). Apart from this, it has a wonderful sound, not comparable with the modern players I had the occasion to hear... moreover, it succeeds in playing scratched discs where many other players fail...

@Ebbe:
Many thanks for the manual: the link worked perfectly and downloading has been very fast on my PC

@Dougigs, Musicomputer, Ebbe:
Thanks for your advice. Now I'm going out for a trip with some friends, and I'll be back home on Tuesday... so I'm going to take a momentary break with this work. When I'll be back, I will deal again with this issue, and follow your hints. Then I'll update this thread...

burnedfingers said:
Don't trash it ...repair it:D :apathic:

I still have my Sony CDP101 which was the first CD player Sony put out. I keep it around to remind me that I dropped $900.00 in order to be the first on my block to own a CD player.

Great stuff !!

Remember to keep the 'drawer locking mechanism' lubricated to prevent it seizing solid.

I have just aquired a 'mint' Marantz CD63 - the CD100 version .
I bought my original CD100 in Singapore about 2 months after they were brought out. Like your CDP101, not cheap!

The CD104 is very repairable and really has few faults.
The major thing is that the "griplet" mod MUST be done.

Andy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.