CD to HDD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have started copying my CD collection on to the HDD.
I use iTunes lossless.

I have EAC exact audio copy installed but not used it yet.

What should I be doing to get the best lossless copies onto my HDD?

BPM is blank for most CDs, how do I get this info onto the record?

iTunes does not handle FLAC.

DO NOT FORGET TO INCLUDE YOUR .CUE, .M3U & LOG FILES IN YOUR TORRENT!
.cue = is a Cue sheet which some music players use. This tells the player certain things about certain tracks.
.m3u = this is a playlist file. Again, some players will follow the playlist file if you ask.
.log = when you use EAC (for example) a log file is created. This file states the quality of the rip and if any errors occured.
Some music trading sites prefer you include those files in your upload.

EAC is one of the best free rippers. It is very good if you want perfect copies as the software will try numerous times to rip when errors are found, and it will not rip if it cannot correct the errors.
Due to this it is not liked by some as they cannot back up their scratched cd's sometimes.

EAC is also harder to use properly, however if you follow the many numerous guides on the intrnet it is actuially quite easy.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
alleycat said:
I don't want to start a fight, but I find it difficult to believe that anyone would find any difference between Apple Lossless/iTunes and FLAC/EAC. For simplicity, I use iTunes.

I use both, and have to say EAC/FLAC seems to yield noticeably better sound quality in XP than iTunes even with Apple Lossless.

I use JRiver Media Center to play my flac files, it will also rip directly to FLAC, however on less than perfect disks I get much better results with EAC. JRiver supports ASIO which allows me to bypass all internal windows audio processing. iTunes does not support ASIO and may have other audio processing related issues as well.

Other (free) media players that work well with FLAC include foobar, earlier ad free versions of winamp, and QCD.

I highly recommend JRiver Media Center, it is compatible with just about every audio format out there and handles most if not all drm formats as well. It is trialware, registration at the end of the trial is about $40 USD.

just to put your mind at rest.

Having tested and compared file rips with a fiel comparator i can tell you that in 99.9% of all the discs you own, ie those with scratches smaller than the maximum Reed solomon correctable maximum, you will find absolutely no difference between files ripped from EAC with its slow error correction and files ripped via itunes with error correction turned on.

it makes no difference if you use EAc to rip to Wav, Flac or any other none compressed format, if you rip to apple lossless and back convert to WAV you will find the files are identical.

I have tried.

EAC-flac
EAC-Wav
Itunes-lossless
and in every case, with a cd that didn't jump in a normal, none pc cd player, when back converted to WAV the files were absolutely identical. bit for bit.

So if you hear any differences at all, it is down to the replay chain and the software, it has absolutely nothing to do with the file extraction.

I do find Sony Sonicstage makes a Wav file sound better than either Itunes or Media Player, to my ears the replay of Foobar, moneymedia and Sonicstage are identical when output over spdif.

Hi Andrew.

To keep it simple download the following:

http://www.digital-inn.de/exact-audio-copy-english/32379-ultimate-eac-pack-released.html

Called Ultimate EAC, and will allow you to create iTunes Lossless files from EAC which are then automatically loaded into iTunes. Saves alot of time/hassle. It will also do FLAC if you ever decide to use that instead.

Incidently one can now play Apple Lossless files using Foobar2000 using a plug-in from their site, if you are concerned with bit-perfect output.

Hope this helps.

- John

Hi all,
I'm continuing to transfer using iTunes lossless for the time being.
But the copy controlled and copy protected CDs don't transfer. They upload some other player.

How do I get these into iTunes?

the ones encountered so far are
Gorillaz - Demon Days
Jennifer Lopez - Rebirth, pre-ripped for PC?
KT Tunstall - Eye to the Telescope.

Out of the all the file formats?

Which format is the most versatile?

Being easiest to convert from one format to another.
And going between different OS's too.

I've been recording disc's to hdd with DBpoweramp, via Exact (bit perfect) to 16bit 44k1 wav files.

For me, anything i've tried will read wav files, then convert them.

At present I prefer 16/44k1 bit perfect spdif out and let the dac upsample to 24/96.

When I find a better processor, I don't need to rerecord the cd's

allan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.