Jambo DAC - DIY USB/Optical/Coaxial DAC kit now available!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

I've mentioned this a few times on here and those that are members of head-fi will already be aware of it... But my DAC kit is now available.

The block diagram is shown below:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It has 4 inputs (USB, Coax and Optical x2). These are selected by a microcontroller talking to a WM8805 which converts SPDIF to I2S. The DACs are two WM8740s in dual mono configuration. The board also supports the WM8741 if you can get hold of some.

Output filters are built around AD797, but the opamps are socketed so you can play around with whatever single opamps you fancy.

Here's a pic of a completed board:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Note that the main supply caps are taller than what comes with the kit.

The price for the kit is £85, with shipping at £4 UK, £7 Europe, £10 ROW.

Note that a power supply is required, as are switches and LEDs to change source and indicate the currently selected source. The HID switches on the PCM2706 are currently not working but I think that is a software issue.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers

Jamie

Of course... The PCB is 5.5 x 4 inches approximately and the tallest component in the kit version is the dual RCA socket which is (according to the datasheet) 26.5mm tall - meaning the complete assembly will be no more than 30mm tall.

I hope this answers your questions.

regarding the usb input

Can it read from a thumb drive or does the
Jambo dac operate in slave mode only with
usb input?
I ask because I saw the ucontroller thought
perhaps the dac can now be used as
master and an external usb device as a
slave.
I'd like to play wav files in the usb drive thru
the dac.

tinears

tinears02 - I'm afraid that the USB functionality is slave only - it connects only to a PC. I did actually think about doing what you suggest using devices from FTDI but I didn't need the functionality myself and wasn't sure how popular it would be.

I also meant to mention in my first post that the kit will come with the microprocessor soldered and programmed as I can appreciate that this is a hassle for many people.

Hello zigzagflux, full schematics can be downloaded from the first post in the build thread which is located here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/jambo-dac-build-thread-344585/

It would be easy to extract the outputs directly from the DACs (prior to opamp filters) as they are all available on vias which are 0.7mm holes which can easily accept a wire. It may not look as neat as you would like, but it would work.

Any further questions let me know.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.