Crystal CS43122 DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I was thinking if there are any advantages of using more than one of those chips at time. I know that CS43122 is stereo DAC but if I could implement one DAC per channel (I have only two). Would it be good to make circuit with parallel connected DACs or maybe use each DAC in mono, one for left and one for right channel, configuration. What do you think ?

thomashek,
Unlike the CS4397, the CS43122 appears not to have a 8x interpolated data mode and the separate left and right inputs that go with that mode so splitting the data will have to be done some other way.
As far as opamps go, the last one I listened to with any regularity was the OPA604 and I too have never used the AD797. The last time I had an indepth look at opamps power consumption was the most important factor for what I was doing at the time.

ray

Joined 2003
Paid Member
So what will happen if I feed DAC by only one stereo channel separated by df1704
If I connect both CS43122 in parallel configuration does it give me any improvment in sound or it will not work that way. Maybe I worry too much and should use only one and take better care of power supply and the rest.
Sure I'm waiting for PCM1792. I almost check TI site everyday.
I just got those CS43122 as samples (almost impossible but I did) and tried to make them useful as fast as possible. Maybe too fast but after building my second converter (yeap I just begin) I realized that sound coming from my DVD player was very very music unfriendly.

It will not work and if you spend enough time with the datasheets you will see why but don't let me put you off trying. As to whether there is anything to be gained by using the two CS43122's in parallel, I have no idea. Can't say i've ever seen any reference to any parallel delta-sigma or bitstream type dacs be they commercial or diy. Perhaps the best idea is to build the best dac you can with one CS43122 and maybe the balanced one later, possibly with the PCM1792.

ray.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.