24bit/192KHz DAC DIY KIT battery power

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All, I have the 24bit/192KHz DAC DIY KIT that is available on ebay. It sounds great! I was hoping to run it off a battery power source. My electronics is pretty basic.
I hooked up a 6v battery to the board and it worked but the output wwas very low, perhaps its only powering the digital section?
What do I need to do to get the whole board working? DO I need to add a 12volt battery?

On the http://www.lampizator.eu site, he mentions running the board off a 6v battery, but bypassing the opamp and pulling the signal from the c27 and c30 points on the board. Does this then require another output stage?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the help!
Cheers
Boyd

The board has +12V and -12V regulators to supply the opamp, so as analog sa has said, you would probably need to feed the regs with + and - 18V. So battery power would get a bit cumbersome.

However, if you are taking the outputs direct from the caps after the dac chip you won't need this bipolar supply, but the max. output signal voltage will then be just under 1V instead of the usual 2V or so. If you have enough gain in your preamp/power amp to accommodate this, then fine.

The other issue is that bypassing the opamp stage like this will feed more HF grunge into your amp, leading possibly to an audible increase in noise (hiss). In my case, the increase in hiss was just audible close to the speakers so I added a bit of passive filtering, which cut the noise completely.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.