Computer as main source?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm not so savvy with all the computer speak ,and wondering if it's possible to use a computer as a music source that would be audiophile quality instead of a cd player?

Would Mac be better than PC for this?.. For a $1000 I could get a very nice cd player (Zcd by Decware), and wondering if a computer could compete for sq for the same or a bit more $$$.?

It would have to play cd's at a very high level of sound quality, plus dvd's, and stream music stations plus serve as a main household computer..

I only use a computer for web browsing and purchasing items sometimes, I don't game or do much movie watching on it other than checking out YouTube sometimes etc.. I'm a very basic user that would love it if audio could be done at a very high level if possible?
Dave:)

The simple answer is yes, it's entirely possible.

I have a cheap Dell laptop which in many ways I hate, but whose internal sound chip has excellent SQ and it will easily drive a pair of Shure in-ear phones to deafening volumes with outstanding clarity.

Since, however, this is one laptop among many, you may prefer to go with an aftermarket internal or external soundcard of established reputation.

You will find people going to extraordinary lengths to isolate their computers from their DACs, but you will find few serious engineers among their numbers. The installation of an internal sound card is more fraught with problems with potential noise pickup, and issues are sometimes experienced. You will also hear a lot about jitter, but again, this is, for the large part, overplayed.

Keeping the computer free of other tasks (dedicated) will decrease the likelihood of glitching, but this is a comparatively rare occurrence with recent operating systems and hardware.

PCs are cheaper than Macs and there's more freeware and independent development. Linux is cheaper than Windows but trickier.

The one fly in the ointment can be the computer fan.

w

DaveCan said:
I'm not so savvy with all the computer speak ,and wondering if it's possible to use a computer as a music source that would be audiophile quality instead of a cd player?

Would Mac be better than PC for this?.. For a $1000 I could get a very nice cd player (Zcd by Decware), and wondering if a computer could compete for sq for the same or a bit more $$$.?

It would have to play cd's at a very high level of sound quality, plus dvd's, and stream music stations plus serve as a main household computer..

I only use a computer for web browsing and purchasing items sometimes, I don't game or do much movie watching on it other than checking out YouTube sometimes etc.. I'm a very basic user that would love it if audio could be done at a very high level if possible?

A good CD player has the convience fast turn-on and play.

A computer is an outstanding alternative, especially if you have an external DAC. A hard drive has error correction builtin and therefor possible to get a "bit perfect" data stream to your DAC. This is almost impossible with anything other than an exotic transport.

I'm biased about using external DAC's. I'm a strong believer in seperating the music from the electronic noise of the harsh computer environment. TOS link is OK and ethernet is better.

There's the added benefit of having your entire library on the HD to build your own playlists or easily find the musicn you are looking for.

SqueezeBox is another good alternative for taking music from a PC anywhere in the house and having TOS link or SPDIF out to a good DAC. The DAC in the SqueezeBox is too congested, so an external DAC becomes essential.

Buy a great DAC for the $1000, like the Lavry DA-10 or build one of your own from a manufacturers demo board. The Analog Devices AD1955 is excellent!

-David

wakibaki said:
The simple answer is yes, it's entirely possible.

The one fly in the ointment can be the computer fan.

w

I use a Mac mini, virtually silent. I paid a bit extra for the Wireless aluminium keyboard and mouse. I use the plasma TV I already had as the monitor.
Standard hard disk is only 80GB so I use a 300GB USB hard disk (full size drive for reliability, not a notebook drive) that sits on a foam mouse mat to keep it quiet. For absolute silence you could put the music on a drive in another room and connect by wireless.

I use an external DAC which is called USB Monica. Only a small part of it's circuit is powered by the USB port, the rest has its own power supply and has no digital noise at all, even at full volume with my ear next to the speaker.

For best quality do not use the computer's volume control.
I just use Itunes and .WAV files. The album art cover-flow makes it very natural to look for a particular CD. I have set it up so that I put a new CD in the drive, it automatically rips it, downloads the cover art then ejects the disk when finished. I don't have to do a single click. This makes it very easy to rip your entire cd library.

If you already have an old monitor and a USB keyboard and mouse you can buy a mac mini, a USB hard disk and an external DAC for the $1000. (I do like the USB Monica, much better sound than M-audio Transit and Edirol UA-1EX)

Thanks for all the info.. I'm still kind of confused as to how it all works, and it would seem more has to be added to the signal chain compared to just using a cd player.

I think I will give the Mac a try as I've always wanted to see what they are like ,and only use my computer very basically anyway.. Perhaps I'll just use the computer for internet radio and keep using cd's, but not sure as it's all complicated to me..

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I built an excellent media server for serving music and handling a number of other media telated tasks. The whole story is chronicled here on this hoary old thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60909&highlight=

Performance continues to be excellent and the bit perfect spdif output from it holds its own against my recently completed ShigaClone transport.

I use asio to avoid the well known issues with the windows kmixer. I also recommend avoiding onboard sound as many (realtec) have hardware resampling to 48kHz that cannot be defeated. I used an M-audio Audiophile 2496 PCI for analog in/out and spdif to my external dac. Mediaplayer software is the excellent JRiver product which is trialware and costs about $40 to register. I have tried most of the other media players and prefer this one. I use Flac lossless file compression to somewhat reduce the size of files in my music library.

I don't feel like I have given up anything in sound quality, and the convenience and versatility is hard to beat. It was not an easy path to follow when I started this 3 yrs ago, but the results have been worth it, and the machine has been very robust. No real problems at all.

Well if you want to give Apple a try you wouldn't go too far wrong with any of their Macs. My girlfriend has one. They are apparently fairly fuss free and very quiet as well. To begin with you could try the sound quality straight from the computer, and if that's not good enough for you then they also all have optical out so you can add whatever external DAC you like later on.

As someone mentioned above you can use iTunes for ripping your CDs as it's easy to use and comes already installed. If you want the highest possible quality without wasting space on your hard disk, change the import settings in iTunes Preferences to use Apple Lossless. If you've got a lot of CDs you might need to use compresssion to save space, in which case I recommend AAC over MP3.

Lots of good info, most I don't understand:xeye: I guess where I'm at, is I like the actual physical cd when I listen, and have thought that some music that's only available on download ,may require me to get a decent set up one day. I enjoy some internet radio but don't really see needing to ''rip'' my cd's at this time, at least not yet:D I'm not much of a diy at electronics so it's kind of over my head..

Is it still worth getting a good cd player, or is it more frugal nowadays to put the money into the ''new way'' of doing things? I would still want the ''new way '' to be able to play my disc's physically with a very high level of sq..

Is there a simple computer music system for idiots guide, without all the tech speak that could get er done for various price levels?

The computer is also entirely capable of playback from the CD, although the drive is often noisier than a hard drive, and disks sometime are unbalanced and buzz, and the playback software options are more constrained.

You say you are very concerned about sound quality.

Why not buy or borrow a pair of Shure in-ear phones (although if you borrow them you will at least require replacement disposable buds). These are widely regarded as being very revealing even in the more modestly priced units. Sennheiser are also highly regarded. You may find the in-ear style not entirely your cup of tea, but you will almost certainly find the experience interesting, and you may like them a great deal.

You could take a favourite well-known CD and play it on different friends' or colleagues' computers and listen direct to the headphone outlet. This would give you some insight into what computers are capable of as raw sources.

w

DaveCan said:
Also is there a way to output more than 2volts from the computer to my amp?

There may be more than one output (Line, Headphone), one of which which may offer a higher voltage, but computers and soundcards are too diverse to give a definitive answer without more details. Other than that the answer is:- whatever it puts out is what it puts out.

You could try a different soundcard, different computer, or inline amplifier.

w

wakibaki said:

There may be more than one output (Line, Headphone), one of which which may offer a higher voltage, but computers and soundcards are too diverse to give a definitive answer without more details. Other than that the answer is:- whatever it puts out is what it puts out.

You could try a different soundcard, different computer, or inline amplifier.

w

Thanks, my amp needs 2.3volts for full output so that would be something I'd need to factor in..

So this is my basic understanding for a computer front end:

Learn to put your music on the computer or retrieve it with the highest unaltered method possible.

Connect the best DAC you can afford and output that to your amp..

Not sure if thats right or not?

Dave, don't get too hung up on all the jargon. Basically the way it works is that you put a CD into your computer and it will play. While it's playing however, it will get automatically stored in your computer at the same time. You won't need to take your CD out of its cover again - the next time you want to play it you will be able to just select it from a list on the computer screen, like a jukebox. The computer audio output can be plugged straight into your amp, no problems. Everything will become clear to you once you try it.

Thanks alleycat..

It does all seem complicated, guess one just has to get learning...

Last night I bought a ticket for The Who charity auction of a 1965 VW, all done up and signed by the surviving members of the band. With the purchase of a ticket, you got a free mp3 download of a unreleased Magic Bus song from 2007. Anyhow I downloaded it and it played, then I had to go out and there is no way I can find it on the computer now.. It said it was downloading to Desktop, it would seem that for me computer and music = much complication:smash:

I have tried using USB as a digital audio source, which many people do, and find the sound is not as good as SPDI/F.
I am now using a Dell Latitude laptop with a docking station. The docking station has a SPDI/F out which I send, using a Neutrik SPDI/F to AES-EBU transformer adapter, to the AES input of a Grace 902 DAC/Headphone amp. BTW, the Grace also has a variable line put which I also feed to a power amp and speakers (Tripath, Jordan). This rig sounds great to me. I'm using foobar for my media player on the computer. If you have a Dell laptop this seems like a pretty good way to go. The docking stations are available on E-bay in the $20 to $40 range. How far you want to take it from there re players and drivers in the computer is up to you. But, IMHO, SPDI/F out to a good DAC is an excellent and necessary first step on your journey towards audio nirvana.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.