DIY music player like Linn Klimax DS?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

Is it possible to build a music player like the Linn Klimax DS? That player costs about 20k.

If possible, how would you do that? Would a DAC + PC be a possibility, or is it possible to integrate the PC (FPGA?) on the DAC board? The HDD should also be in the same case, no NAS.

thanks

pitfire

Not sure what Linn are trying to acheive with a stupidly outrageous price for a simple network audio streaming device.

similar product is the logitech sqeezebox that I know of, and for 1/100 of the price, and I doubt 100xthe audio quality...

I have built some sound system/network controlled device, similar concept as I could bring myself to buy a squeeze box.

but the 'AudioPC' (fedora) is central, connected to network & wireless. Amps directly connected to PC, controlled via laptop or a pda.
Good thing about this is I can upgrade the analogue pc cards without buying a whole new system.

thanks stevodude

What would be the best system for a HDD/network-player?

Correct me if I am wrong, but basically a good DAC and HDD plus a pc would do it or not?

All DIY-systems I have seen so far, were systems with a complete PC. Is it not possible, to do this like Linn, T+A, Naim etc. using dedicated chips like the Xilinx Virtex-4 or is that chip not responsible for the playback? (I am not an electronics engineer)

I don't want a huge box, so if there is a solution on a nano-ITX pico-ITX-Board, that would be great.

What about the transfer from PC to DAC. I read a lot about optical, coaxial or USB. What is the best?

thanks

Hi,

take a look at www.audioasylum.com... Thousands threads about PC based audio. Also take a look at the webpage of Reference Recording (they once invented HDCD) and they are using a simple DELL PC with XP (no Vista for a audio PC!!!) and a dedicated LYNX soundcard connected to an outboard DAC... Lots of information to be read, but well worth the effort.

smallest path would be maybe looking at the openwrt OS (linux for embeded devices like the linksys wrt54gl) - this has usb support so you can plug in usb sound cards.
I haven't tried this route yet, as it requires a little more time than setting up a pc with musicPD on it.

either way if you use a PC, it doesn't have to be in your loung, but can be anywhere in your house, ie in a cupboard...

I have a comms rack downstairs so it was easier for me.

But musicpd can be run on anything ( Ive seen it from a PII 233Mhz processor and up...)
so yea I mini ITX, or VIA 733Mhz Micro box would work fine with usb dac's feeding your amps...

ie: on your network you have:
network switch/hub
Wireless router (for your pda/laptop to control the music)
Audio server - Mini ITX box with Linux compatable usb DAC's output to amplifier.

software on audioserver:
Linux - I have used Vector (great for no gui, or low end pc's, Ubuntu, fedora, slackware) - currently toying with fedora.
MPD - http://www.musicpd.org/
jinzora - Web server attached to mpd for music controll via web interface - works on pda * laptops - http://en.jinzora.com/

Total cost for me $0 and a few hours configuring OS/Audio/web

total cost if you have nothing:
Mini ITX PC - $200?
USB DAC - $100
Wireless router - $100
OS & configs - 4hrs

If you have some hardware allready and have the time (being on diy audio you obviously have time because it's a hobby thing) then it is worth it, but ig you don't have the time or the hardware, then go buy some Logitech slimservers :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.