I started my new Tube DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• lv_supply_small.jpg
    lv_supply_small.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 7,767
I will keep you posted

I would be great to share with someone else on this project. But don't expect to fast a result. I'm doing this part time with the familly, 3 boys, ouf...

I will start to assemble the main DAC PCB that I got from Guido Tent (Great guy). You can buy from him with confidence. I also bought two XO low jitter clock modules for my two CD Players. I didn't have the time to install them either...

Bye.

SB

DAC PCB almost finished

Here the DAC Main PCB amost finished. You can see the Jensen caps stacked together. I had to use 0.01 and 0.022 uf caps in parallel to get the needed 0.033uf cap. I needed to install the two 4.7uf MKT4 (big blue caps installed up side down) in a peculiar way. They were bigger than the one used for the desing of the pcb, probably 160V instead of the 250V that I got.

I hope that the Jensen are worth the money that I spent. They are really expensive...

Attachments

• dac pcb_small.jpg
    dac pcb_small.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 7,256
HV Tube output amp

Here the High Voltage Tube Amplifier PCB almost completed. The power supply choke will be connected externally using the molex connector. The big orange connector will connect the input 120V and the custom HV and filament transfo. Check the big Jensen Cap, copper foil and silver leads. I'm also using Riken, all copper, resistors in the signal path. Circuit is using Svotek 6922 tube dual triode and 6X4 Rectifier Tube.

Bye.

Attachments

• hv tube_small.jpg
    hv tube_small.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 6,900
Here the Tube output completed

Here my new tube voltage gain stage for my new DIY DAC. It is using a HV 6X4 Tube rectifier and a double triode Svotek 6922. The 6922 is using DC filement voltage using schottky rectifer and LM317T regulator. The HV is filtered using a CLC filter with two 47uF cap. an a Hammond 9H, 40ma choke.

And I just forgot. I'm also using in the signal path all copper Riken resistors and the very good Jensen copper foil and silver lead.

I will listen to this beauty soon...

Comments are welcome. Any suggestion on my tube choice will also be appreciated.

Don't be too hard on me, it is my first tube circuit. Better late than never.

Since the DAC is not completed, here a few measurements to test everything:

Bandwidth (0.767V, 1Khz reference): 20Hz-300Khz in 50 Kohms

Voltage Gain (in 50Kohms)
0.5Vin = 22.5
31.6mVin (Vout=0dB) = 24.2

Distorsion (in 50Kohms, Vout 0.767V)
100Hz: 0.5%
1Khz: 1.2%
10Khz: 1.4%
20Khz: 1.5%

Are these values of distorsion typical or an other tube brand can give me better values?

Attachments

• hv side view_small.jpg
    hv side view_small.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 6,385
Re: Here the Tube output completed

Algar_emi said:
Distorsion (in 50Kohms, Vout 0.767V)
100Hz: 0.5%
1Khz: 1.2%
10Khz: 1.4%
20Khz: 1.5%

Are these values of distorsion typical or an other tube brand can give me better values? [/B]

Hi there

neat work !

Distortion looks higher than normal, we meaured -51 dB at 1 kHz

http://members.chello.nl/~m.heijligers/DAChtml/Measurements.htm

(scroll down)

which equals about 0,3%

which tube (brand) did you use ?

How does the residue of distortion look like ? (I hope you can monitor that) Is it harmonics or maybe 50 / 100 Hz ?

Guido

Re: DAC PCB almost finished

Algar_emi said:
Here the DAC Main PCB amost finished. You can see the Jensen caps stacked together. I had to use 0.01 and 0.022 uf caps in parallel to get the needed 0.033uf cap. I needed to install the two 4.7uf MKT4 (big blue caps installed up side down) in a peculiar way. They were bigger than the one used for the desing of the pcb, probably 160V instead of the 250V that I got.

Hi all

I now have limitted stock on the original 4.7 uF caps intended for the PLL loop filter. These will fit the PCB, I admit, these are quite hard to get.

The completed DAC is working

I did it. I connected everything and it works immediatly. Thanks Guido and all your team.

My setup:
Amp: My DIY Aleph30
Preamp: Simaudio i-5, preamp section only
Speaker: Axiom 3Ti mini monitors
CD: Copland 277
I connected the DAC to cd input and the normal audio output of the Copland to A1 on the preamp. So I was able to switch rapidly between both to compare

The first listening impressions:
First of all, the DAC sound as good as the audio output of my Copland. Then after listening to the DAC I realized that the DAC sounds more relaxed, the highs were smoother, the bass naybe more firm. In general the DAC sounds more easy than the Copland. On the original Copland sound, the high were slightly aggresives compare to the DAC.

I like the way the DAC sound verymuch and it is a first impression. The DAC big Jensen All copper caps are not yet broke in.

I let everything running for break in using the Stereophile Test CD1 burning track 20. I will comment again in a few days to see if the sound improved.

Sound very promessing
:)

More listening

Incredible. I just bought the 30th anniversary version of Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon, I know, I know but I'm forty so...

It is the first time that I realize that the heart beat at the beginning is really from a drum. I hear it clearly. Stereo image and micro details are incredibles. The sound is so soft. No more CD agressive sound.

I have to go back to it. Bye...

SB

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
CONGRATS.

Hi,

My tube is a Svotek 6922. Any better tube for the job?

How deep are your pockets?

1/ E288CC/8223?
2/ E188CC/7308
3/ Cca...almost unobtainable
4/ E88CC/6922 European top brand
5/ Handpicked ECC88s: TFK,Philips and licensees,etc.
6/Sovteks 6922s are good though, leave them in for a few weeks to burn in and I doubt you'd want to spend megabucks on others.
7/USSR 6N1P provided the heater windings are up to it.

L'embarras du choix,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.