I started my new Tube DAC - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th April 2003, 09:29 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Default CAT5 Cable stripped

I may try that latter on. thanks...

SB
Old 28th April 2003, 01:18 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Magnetmaz
does anyone from this forum have any experience with this CAT5 speaker cable? Or with the teflon and silver wire interconnects from my above mentioned website? (i'm going to attempt those next, since i'm still using crappy $3.00 radioshack interconnects)

-Maz
Old 30th April 2003, 01:44 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Default SPDIF and DAC CLOCK signals and news

I measured the SPDIF and the Clock signal of my new DAC using my trusty Tek Scope. The signal are very nice indicating no measurable jitter.
I also check the square wave, 1 kHz and 1K, 20Khz sinus. The square wave is almost perfect with slight ringing on top (typical of CD output). The sinus are perfect!

I will post pictures soon.

I'm working on an op-amp line stage output, so I will have both type of sound on my DAC. I planned to use to renowned AD825 op-amp. I will post the schematic tomorrow.
Old 30th April 2003, 12:22 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Default Re: SPDIF and DAC CLOCK signals and news

Quote:
Originally posted by Algar_emi
I measured the SPDIF and the Clock signal of my new DAC using my trusty Tek Scope. The signal are very nice indicating no measurable jitter.
I also check the square wave, 1 kHz and 1K, 20Khz sinus. The square wave is almost perfect with slight ringing on top (typical of CD output). The sinus are perfect!

I will post pictures soon.

I'm working on an op-amp line stage output, so I will have both type of sound on my DAC. I planned to use to renowned AD825 op-amp. I will post the schematic tomorrow.
Hi

In average, the jitter at the SPDIF is in the ns range. This is only vissible using fast sampling scopes with a low jitter time base. Tektronix series 7000 is suitable, but I wonder if you have one at home (I use these at my work and I'd love to have one at home......)

Let me point you towards our DAC page where we included a section on making jitter audible by mixing it down to zero, see

http://members.chello.nl/~m.heijlige...LL%20sound.htm

and the general entrance here

http://members.chello.nl/~m.heijlige...tml/dactop.htm

all the best
Old 1st May 2003, 02:10 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Default Jitter

Thanks Guido, very interesting article as always. You are right about my scope, the best I have is a 150Mhz analog 2430, probably not up to the job. I will try the PLL sound output.

Thanks...
Old 1st May 2003, 02:13 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Hi! Algar,

Do you have a schematic for your tube stage?
I'm interested in building one. Thanks

Regards,
Bina
Old 2nd May 2003, 12:30 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Default Schematics and Bill of Material

For any person interrested to build this DAC, entirely or in part, in North America, I will post the complet schematics and Bill of materials, ajusted for the North America market. For example, I found the transfo and choke replacement from Digikey and Victoria Magnetics, all in the US.

I also produced a nice (at least I think) complete interconnect diagram that is missing from Guido Tent web Site.

Bye...
Attached Files
File Type: zip system diagram.zip (14.0 KB, 549 views)
Old 2nd May 2003, 12:32 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Default Low Voltage Power Supply

As promised, here the Low Voltage Power Supply.
Attached Files
File Type: zip lv_supply .zip (19.6 KB, 390 views)
Old 2nd May 2003, 12:39 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Default Re: SPDIF and DAC CLOCK signals and news

Quote:
Originally posted by Algar_emi

I would be interested in this one
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 2nd May 2003, 12:40 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Default Tube Line Stage

Hi binatang. As requested the tube line stage output schematic.

You can also check:

My new tube DAC output

for pictures, details and some test results....

Bye.

N.B.:
Listening session among users of this DAC recommended the 6N1P as the best tube to use instead of the ECC88 or the 6922. However to use the 6N1P you need to be sure that the tube filament transfo can supply 700ma instead of the 350ma used by the 6922. Just make sure that the transfo can supply 6.3V, 1A and you're Ok.

You also need to change the cathode resistor. It can be done by adding a 120 ohms resistor in parallel to the existing 330. I added 2 jumpers and two 120R resistors, see diagram, so my PCB can accept both tube types.

I will post the Complete Bill of Materials tomorrow. It will include the parts for the Tube line Stage...

Bye.
Attached Files
File Type: zip tube stage.zip (16.3 KB, 521 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!