I started my new Tube DAC - Page 14 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st August 2006, 01:33 AM   #131
diyAudio Member

Ok,

Also me did not want to come off like a jerk, only was upset by the first message tone..

Though the thread suggestions are still valid, might make up for a good read, no learn..

Ciao, George
Old 1st August 2006, 01:34 AM   #132
diyAudio Member

Point taken, but I also suggest that an open mind remain for measurement based characterizations of data transmission interfaces. So, I can learn and maybe others can learn too. Is that not fair??
Old 1st August 2006, 01:48 AM   #133
diyAudio Member

mrshow4u,

Visibly You know your material. We are talking about a non -standard
situation here, maybe Pedja's words are clearing it up better [from those threads].

Quote:
Signal period or more commonly a "unit interval" (UI) are the measures usually discussed in the data transitions. Jitter here matters only if it comes that high to introduce bit errors.

However, as I've said above, the problem with the jitter in audio is that influences conversion, bringing certain artifacts that are considered to be critical for the ear. You have more on these mechanisms in Dunn's articles.

Pedja
Old 1st August 2006, 01:55 AM   #134
diyAudio Member

mrshow4u no offense

Thanks Joseph. Very informative articles. A good start is also the full articles discussion of Guido Tent design choices that produce his Tube Dac. These justification for the design choices were the main reasons why I choose to build this DAC, see: http://members.chello.nl/~m.heijligers/DAChtml/tech.htm

and in particular:
http://members.chello.nl/~m.heijlige...l/PLL/PLL1.htm

SPDIF is not a great digital interface to start with. Any help here with the signal transmission and its best recovery using a PLL and a good low jitter clock (supplied with a low noise supply) is well welcome to get the best sound

So I guest that a good digital cable can save the day...
Old 1st August 2006, 02:03 AM   #135
diyAudio Member

Algar,

I can only confirm your finds: it's my long time experience that this DAC
[which was a team's work, let's don't leave out people like Marc Heijligers] is still "reactive" or "responsive" to the SPDIF input quality,
reclocking notwithstanding. And it rewards the efforts with a beautiful sound..
We have listened to a Northstar 192 dac quite extensively. That dac is less responsive to the SPDIF input, with it's on-board ASRC and local crystal oscillator. But still there are clear differences..

It's nice to see that You still like the sound of it. How about Peter's Dac in comparison?

Ciao, George

Ps.: As it might be seen in those threads, I've seen some problems with the digital input's behaviour.. though that can be only my realization, I'm rather afraid that it's more due to the transformer chosen.. Guido in fact uses an another type these days.
New test are due..
Old 1st August 2006, 11:12 AM   #136
diyAudio Member

You're right it was a team effort, sorry I didn't mean to offense the other team members. It is right also that the transfo choice is of the most importance being the first to receive the signal and match the impedance.

I still didn't listen to my version of PD DAC with this setup. Don't forget that this is my own version of it, not really Peter final design. I know that he tried a few different PCB layout before choosing the right one. I did just one...

Peter is using an active digital receiver, no transformer. The DAC is also quite different and has no PLL or low jitter clock. It may be more sensitive do the digital cable and transport choice.
Next in my list of listening tests.
Old 24th August 2006, 07:32 PM   #137
diyAudio Member

I finally completed the top cover plate. Looking very nice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg top_cover_small.jpg (35.1 KB, 473 views)
Old 24th August 2006, 07:33 PM   #138
diyAudio Member

The DAC is completly closed and completed. Sound great. Here the bottom view showing the transformer and choke enclosure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg completed_supply_small.jpg (24.7 KB, 454 views)
Old 24th August 2006, 07:34 PM   #139
diyAudio Member

And the final look. It weights a ton
Attached Images
File Type: jpg completed_front_small.jpg (25.1 KB, 472 views)
Old 21st November 2006, 08:14 PM   #140
Blaz is offline Blaz  Canada
diyAudio Member

Question Matching DIY CD transport

Algar,

What will be good matching DIY CD transport KIT for this DAC?

Hide this!Advertise here!