DSD / 1-bit input DAC?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm designing a board around an Atmel AP7000 processor, which has a "audio bitstream DAC" built into it. Basically, it outputs a pair of 1-bit signals at 128Fs (5.6448M @ 44.1) along with a clock. Sort of like DSD but twice the data rate.

I hope to use this for a diagnostic headphone jack. The quality doesn't have to be that great, but it can't be ridiculously bad (buzzing/supply noise/etc) that can make someone think that something is wrong with the application.

On the cheap side, I could take these lines directly, feed them through a 74xx CMOS gate running off its own linear regulator and finally an op-amp doing low pass/headphone driving duties, but I'm concerned that the output of a 74xx won't really be suitable.

On the spendy side, I could use a PCM179x part from TI in DSD mode, but I'd need to add a PLL to boost the bit clock by 4x for the PCM's system clock. So board area, and cost, are starting to get out of the question here.

Is there a specific device that I could be using for this? ie., does someone sell a "1 bit in, 1 bit out" DAC that I should be aware of?

Thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.