Alternatives to CD-PRO 2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello !

I was just wondering if there's cheaper alternatives to CD-PRO 2 transport ? Something like 100$ would be a good compromise IMO :) I'm pretty sure that the project would interest some people here who want to build their own CD player.

There's the CD-ROM alternative but some CD are protected from being read by them...

If you have any knowledge, tips or suggestions don't hesitate to share them !

Have a nice day !

Regards,

The one thing that gets me about these CD-ROM projects is that nobody seems to address the mechanical issues with the transport. They only seem to address the IDE/SCSI interface issue or the DAC issue. But from my own experience, a CD-ROM transport is nowhere near as solid as even my own cheapo CDP's transport, and I would never attempt such a project until I knew how to beef things up.

Does anybody have experience or info on that end of things? That picture of the tweaked Intra CD-ROM looked like the builder had really done things right.

Thanks for your info guys :)

I've done a search right before posting my question but didn't find any real info about cheaper CD mechanism. Maybe looked too fast.... duhhhhhhh

I was aware of the CD-Rom possibility but this is something that I would like to avoid because of the protection scheme on some more "commercial" CDs. The IDE/SCSI interface is less a hassle but anyway... I'm looking for a good and less expensive CD mechanism than CD-PRO 2

Regards,

I'll keep you informed if I find anything

Thanks Jean-Paul :)

What does "Elkaid" means ? Well, a friend of mine call me this way once and I've been using this nickname since then. This is a contraction of "Le Caïd" in french. A "Caïd" is someone like Al Capone I guess. However, I can't find any connection between Al Capone and me :)

I haven't realized that it may sound like El Qaida and I admit that it may confuse many and seems not really appropriate.

Maybe you guys could have some suggestions for a new nickname ? Something like "The guys who doesn't stop asking dumb question" :)

Well, a new nick and new avatar are coming soon ! :nod:

OHHHH DRUEL I WANT ONE...,

Attachments

• cdx3t.jpg
    cdx3t.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 1,168
Hi guys !

After some research, I've found the following :

http://www.grandata.co.uk/

CDM4/11 226$CAN 152$US
CDM4/18 71$CAN 48$US
CDM4/19 71$CAN 48$US
CDM4/44 126$CAN 85$US

however, I don't know the differences between those models.

http://www.daisy-laser.nl/

CD-PRO 2 kit 778$ CAN
528$ US

I looked for Philips units as they seems pretty appreciated from DIYers. Am I right ?

Jean-Paul : You will be happy to know that your can order CDM4s from the first link provided above.

I'll probably go for the cheaper of the bunch... Didn't find any CDM2 mechanism :(

Then I'll guess I'll need an appropriate DAC. Any suggestions ? Nothing esoteric, I appreciate simple stuff that I can replace or upgrade later.

I used the following table :)

And I've done the Euro->Can$ or US$ using this link:

French :
http://www.banqueducanada.ca/fr/exchfo-f.htm

English :
http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/exchform.htm

Have I missed something important ?
Of course this is the price for the whole kit. The transport itself is 335$CAN or 226$US

Shipping cost seems like 110Euro for the whole kit... that's crazy isn't it ? Ordering 10 500Va transformer would be cheaper :)

Attachments

• img302.gif
    img302.gif
    13.1 KB · Views: 983
:bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

That's ruining my plans ! :bawling: :bawling:

Is there only the CD-PRO 2 that comes with a controller ?

What about CD-PRO ? How much ? Doesn't read CD-R I guess...

The project is becoming scary... maybe I should look for a CD-Rom based project after all...

I took a look at some of your projects guys and some of them are just crazy :) (I mean way too much complex for me... I saw a DAC with more components than on my PC's motherboard)

Well, a very very simple DAC and a CD-Rom should do the trick for a beginning... The only drawback is that I will not be able to listen to my Nsynch CD (joke) and Nathalie Imbruglia (that's really sad)

Any suggestion from you guys ? Good working IDE/SCSI controller project ? Simple DAC schematics ?

Thanks !

Regards,

Why don't you buy a used CD payer and modify it. Old Marantz or Philips players can be obtained relatively cheap, they feature good transports, they even have DAC chips you might be after. All you have to do is bypass oversampling chip and improve output stage. It's definitely easier and cheaper than building the whole player from a scratch (especially if you want to make it on a budget).

Amen !

Modifying a CD player would be a nice idea :) Maybe not "rewarding" as much as doing the whole thing but the goal is to get a better sound right ? :)

Don't laugh too loud but is there anything to do with a pioneer PD-103 cd player ? What improvements could be made ? Changing the whole thing and just keeping the case ? It's probably too cheap to have anything to do with hehehe...

Well, at least it doesn't bother me too much to do severe experiments with it...

Suggestions are welcomed !

Regards !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.