CD 723 Philips ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I am reading in this forum for a while - especially the "digital" and "chipamp"-section.
I also read about tweaking the Philips CD 723 - I just want to use it as a Transport for my NOS-DAC (from Scott Nixon).
So far so good...
...but the forum-search was absolutely confusing me:

some say: "...SPDIF-Out is NOT Bit-perfect and it is Oversampled - don´t use it with NOS-DAC..."
some say: "...use SPDIF for NOS-DAC if your DAC has an Crystal 8412 (or 8414)-Receiver..."
some say "...don´t use it as a transport...!"
and so on...

The Problem is that I´m no electrician and I cannot read (understand) the datasheets of those IC´s.

Can anyone explain me only one thing:
What happens exactly with the oversampled signal from the
"Transport" when it comes to the NOS-DAC and is this Player worth to be combined with this DAC via SPDIF?

Thanks for your Help
Markus

101dm said:

I also read about tweaking the Philips CD 723 - I just want to use it as a Transport for my NOS-DAC (from Scott Nixon).

some say: "...SPDIF-Out is NOT Bit-perfect and it is Oversampled - don´t use it with NOS-DAC..."
some say: "...use SPDIF for NOS-DAC if your DAC has an Crystal 8412 (or 8414)-Receiver..."
some say "...don´t use it as a transport...!"
and so on...

Hello,
to clear things a bit:
- in stock form the SPDIF output of this player is not bit perfect, since a -0.5dB scaling is applied by default
- SPDIF is always non-oversampled
-I also read that the SPDIF output of CD723 is also pretty poor

BUT

- you can disable this scaling and then achieve bit-perfect output installing a "hacker" (http://benjamin.silvestre.club.fr/cd723/hack/hack_e.html)
-you can improve digital out as described by Nuuk and others, but you can also extensively tweak the player since it has a lot of free space inside the cabinet.

Cheers
Andrea

Hello Andrea,

thank you for your answer.

I´ve read about the "Hacker" - but it´s a pity that I don´t have much enough knowledge in those things.
So it will be to difficult for me integrating the hacker in the CDP.

A good way for me seems to improve the digital out like on NUUKs website.

Do you have any experiences in the Mods described there (...soundwise)?

Greetings
Markus

Basically the 723 is a very low price and very low quality player. Its hacking potential comes from the low price (if you kill it, you don't cry).

I would suggest you start with a better designed player ;) Basically any cheap player that has a bit-exact spdif output... I'm against the art of turd polishing, lol.

101dm said:
Hello Andrea,

thank you for your answer.

I´ve read about the "Hacker" - but it´s a pity that I don´t have much enough knowledge in those things.
So it will be to difficult for me integrating the hacker in the CDP.

A good way for me seems to improve the digital out like on NUUKs website.

Do you have any experiences in the Mods described there (...soundwise)?

Greetings
Markus

Hi Markus,
I did a different modding of the player, basically making it a different beast with TDA1541A-S2 inside, Tent master clock, synchronous reclocking, transformer I/V, etc.

But I wouldn't call that a "mod" but more a complete reconstruction (keeping the transport and control logic)

Cheers

Andrea

Attachments

• full_view.jpg
    full_view.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 263
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.