Split digital audio signal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks!

I have noticed that there are some AES/EBU splitters/combiners on the market, but I have yet to find any S/P dif splitters. Does that mean you can split an S/Pdif cable from one output to two inputs (active speakers) with good results?

If not, what is the recommended way of doing this?

Courtesy of Jocko:

Attachments

• splitter.jpg
    splitter.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 319
That is essentially the schematic for a standard 75 ohm cable TV splitter that you can buy in the US at Radio Shack, Lowes, Home Depot, or your local grocery store. I dont know what you have in Rakkestad.

Video cables have different connectors than audio 75 ohm SPDIF cables.

You can make your own cables of 75 ohm coax RG6. Use RCA connectors on one end and coax "F" on the other.

It should work OK if you keep the cables short and have good crimps.

;)

Similar question??

Hello guys.

I think I may want the same thing (but the other way around)...

The background:

I have a Tascam CD-RW402 which is a dual disc recorder (well, one play only; one play/record) and it is essentially two separate pieces of equipment in one box. By this I mean it has separate digital out for each drive, and a digital in for the recording drive only.

What I want to do is to have both digital outs going through a wye into a single available digital in on my Aragon D2A converter. (the other digital in is being used by the Theta Data)

The question: Can I and/or SHOULD I add diodes in the 'hot' (center conductor) of my wye to prevent the output of one drive from feeding back into the output of the other drive?

If the answer is "yes" to add the diodes, are their any specific recommendations on their value/part number?

If the answer is "no" please elaborate- the diodes will degrade the signal to poop or it will set up an oscillation or whatever. In that case, any insight into the ramifications of sending a digital output signal into a digital in port? (I.E. just run the wye and hope for the best?)

Thanks in advance to all who can chime in with their knowledge and experience!

Info on unit=> http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/335/CD-RW402.pdf

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I suspect try it and see is the answer here. I can't see any damage being caused. Although there are standards relating to impedance and levels in practice it is surprising what you can get away with. Try padding (attenuating) the output with resistors too.

What the DAC will make of two signals is anyones guess.

I did something similar in the optical domain which works well,
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/157831-optical-splitter-used-combiner.html

Thank you Mooly.

I was hoping there was a known protocall on this, and I would not be playing both players a the same time (not sure it is possible, but it probably is since it is a Tascam).

Are you saying go ahead and try it with the diodes in place, or try it with a plain old hard-wired wye?

I guess if it is a shot in the dark, the diode route is the way to go, as the worst case is a distorted input signal to te D2A rather than back-feeding the output of the other player (which I want to avoid as it is a nice unit!)

I don't think attenuation resistors are required as only one output at a time would feed the D2A. If I was going to run both players at the same time (!!!) it might get dicey. I can only imagine what two digital signals would sound like after decoding...:eek:

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I don't think you have any worries on "back feeding" the signal with regards to it causing problems, it's just whether it will work or not. Many SPDIF outputs are transformer coupled with a tiny pulse transformer.

I couldn't even like to hazard a guess what the outcome will be as far as getting a data stream that is recognised by the DAC.

I was amazed with mine that the signal was not totally corrupted but it isn't. The DAC (in my MD recorder) must select some property of the two signals and be able to lock onto that. The frequencies will certainly differ a fraction because the source components are two separate pieces of equipment... and that raises an interesting question for you. As yours is "two drives" in one box do they share the same master clock and so on. If so the frequency of the two data streams could be identical.

You really are just going to have to experiment on this one.

I would expect a shared clock, as this unit has a 4X disc to disc copy speed option, and I would guess to make life easier for the designer of the original circuit, having a 'global' clock in the unit makes a lot of sense.

Well, I'm thinking about it. I might try a diode-equipped wye first, and if no signal passes (or is not decoded anyway, I will remove one diode (on the line I am playing) and try that, if it still doesn't work, I will probably abandon the idea, as it was just a novel idea to be able to have three discs cued up when there is a party for example and keep the music flowing while changing discs... Not a huge priority, and I can run the play (only) deck output to the D2A and have esentially (actually) two independant drives running through the same converter.

I do have cont. play option so I guess in preparing for a party, I just unplug the Theta and run the second player into the second D2A input.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.