PMD100 Max Sample Rate?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm having some trouble getting a clear idea of what it really is. The datasheet tells me 55.2KHz but I seem to recall people using the PMD100 on projects involving higher sample rates. I may be mistaken, though, but I apparently lack the requisite search skills to definitively answer the question myself, so I'm asking here :)

Thanks for any help!

The input sample rate would be 44.1 or 48 kHz. 55.x k is the fastest the chip will still meet specs, a bit of margin typical when writing chip specs.

The output sample rate in HW/standalone mode is 8x that, 352.8 or 384 kHz. Maybe what you were referring to...?

Regardless of specs, it is a very good sounding filter, including when playing non-HDCD material.

Enjoy,

WMS

Okay. Thanks for the info! It was just unclear to me what the max input was; for some reason I'd read it could take 96KHz, but I guess not. I was aware that the output was of course higher due to oversampling.

My DAC (Assemblage DAC-2.6) currently has the PMD100 in it. Seems like a great filter, overall, and the gains from HDCD appear to be significant (I used my computer to be able to block/unblock HDCD to check it, and conveniently this unit's design allows me to disable attenuation).

There is apparently a DF1704 filter available, though, for 96KHz operation. I don't know if it's worth pursuing or not.

rossl said:
I would like to design a board that would be a stand-alone HDCD decoder.

Does anyone know of a source of PMD100s or PMD200s?

Preferably not from China. I recently saw an ad for some from China, but it seemed suspicious. They were probably counterfeit.

Your best bet might be to consider buying a used CD player or DAC with the chip. It's a DIP package and rather straight forward to unsolder and reuse.

THe chip has been out of production for quite a while after Microsoft bought the company and IP.

I have several HDCD disc's and an Adcom GDA750 Balanced DAC that supports HDCD. The sound from the HDCD disc's is nothing short of awesome. Even my non-audiophile friends readily prefer the HDCD version of Yes's 90125 to the remastered release.

Sad HDCD never really caught on and moved forward.

-David

dw8083 said:

Your best bet might be to consider buying a used CD player or DAC with the chip. It's a DIP package and rather straight forward to unsolder and reuse.

Yes, I have one. It's an Parasound from the 90's. It's hardly worth it to design a PCB just for one chip. It will need a micro to control the PMD chip and a CPLD to reformat the output into I2S.

What I really want is 10 or 20 PMD chips so I can build a lot of them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.