New iMac with OSX 10.5.2 and iTunes - Thoughts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Equipment:

I just setup my new 20", 2.4ghz iMac w/320GB disk. I'm a fresh convert from Windows and could not be happier!

The system has optical SPDIF out to a balanced DAC driving Pass Labs gear.

Just for fun I ripped a couple of CD's using iTunes with the error correction box checked. Everything runs flawlessly. Amazing the iMac is so easy to use.

Questions:
1) Are there any suggestions anyone has for optimizing the iMac as a music server?

2) Any "gotchas" I should be aware of using iTunes on the iMac?

Thank you!!

-David

p.s.
I work for a BIG PC company and this is the first time I've had the experience of just using a computer as an appliance. Really, the mac is almost like operating a HD TV set in terms of it's complexity. Almost all energy expended is on accomplishing what you want to do, rather than fighting the computing environment.

I'm just stunned.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have nothing really to add. 10.5.3 should be out pretty quick which should squash the big bugs that have survived thru the 2 previous updates. As long as you are connected to high speed you will get a chance to experience how slick Apple's upgrade process. I do generally recommend that one run Disk Utility & repair disk permissions (First Aid tab) before & after any major upgrade.

I have had a parade of macs for running iTunes (all my stuff is in Apple Lossless files on my desktop downstairs) from slot-load iMacs up to the current luxolamp iMac (it needs a newer drive fitted thou -- but like most of the rest of my dedicated iTunes boxes it came for free)

I am currently on an exploration to figure out how to get AU (Audio Unit) plug-ins to work with iTunes which will allow access to some very powerful digital EQ for the things like BSC, bass boost or notching the occasional offending peak,

dave

planet10 said:
I have nothing really to add. 10.5.3 should be out pretty quick which should squash the big bugs that have survived thru the 2 previous updates. As long as you are connected to high speed you will get a chance to experience how slick Apple's upgrade process. I do generally recommend that one run Disk Utility & repair disk permissions (First Aid tab) before & after any major upgrade.

I have had a parade of macs for running iTunes (all my stuff is in Apple Lossless files on my desktop downstairs) from slot-load iMacs up to the current luxolamp iMac (it needs a newer drive fitted thou -- but like most of the rest of my dedicated iTunes boxes it came for free)

I am currently on an exploration to figure out how to get AU (Audio Unit) plug-ins to work with iTunes which will allow access to some very powerful digital EQ for the things like BSC, bass boost or notching the occasional offending peak,

dave

Thanks Dave for the tips.

Working with DSP plugin's are next on my list. One recording on my current listening pile is a touch bright, but otherwise excellent. Playing with the built-in iTunes EQ, I set it to flat across the middle and pulled down the 16khz setting a half notch. It worked great!

Very cool to consider the possibilities.

-David

I would add to have the volume control all the way up in the upper left corner (IIRC) of the window when using digital output. Otherwise, you're just cutting off bits.

I personally use Apple Lossless, and haven't had any issues streaming to the Airport Express. Why run wav when you can save some of that HD space?

Lover of the mac, too. It really is easy, even though Apple has its issues with hardware quality and wireless compatibility. All in all, it's the way to go.

Is there any thing else that has to be set on the iMac for bit perfect output using iTunes and OSX 10.5.2?

I have noticed that the iMac digital optical out to my DAC overall the sound is more relaxed and not as lively as when using the same DAC and system with my Marantz CD63 Special Edition with optical out.

What would account for this?

Thanks!

-David

pinkmouse said:

Hmm. I bet my tortoise chained to an anvil moves faster than your Ferrari with the wheels sawn off... ;)

yeah ok, so the differences were negligible. but the op did ask for any potential pitfalls that itunes may present. and a less that excellent encoder is one of them.
for the record, the difference that it presents is not as large as the difference between 192kbps and 320... and i still use itunes to encode because of the convenience. YMMV.

planet10 said:

You need to make sure that Apple midi is set right so that you don't end up inadvertantly resampling.

dave

Thanks Dave! Being a brand new Mac user, this is the type of insight I'm hoping for from other veterans. I could not find the Midi settings in the System Preferences screen.

Any hits would be helpful.

The sound is much more relaxed ripping WAV files from CD's with iTunes than the same files from EAC on Windows. iTunes does have the Error correction option checked. Also the same audio system plays back both WAV files.

-David

David,

You might want to rip to AIFF. WAV is basically straight PCM data. But AIFF from what I can tell is straight PCM data with a wrapper around it that has the CUE information. Therefore if you loose your library info with WAV your screwed but with AIFF it can rebuild everything very easily.

Let's see make sure you have the Equalizer off (Window->EQ). Make sure in playback options you have (Preferences->Playback) Sound Enhancer OFF and Sound Check OFF.

I find it best to have a Firewire drive to backup my stuff on.

The Toslink out is ok but you may want to look at some reclocking devices to take that and step it up a little. I found in testing that the port is a little jittery.

iTunes on the Mac is easy fun and sounds great.

Welcome to the Club!
Thanks
Gordon

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
dw8083 said:
Thanks Dave! Being a brand new Mac user, this is the type of insight I'm hoping for from other veterans. I could not find the Midi settings in the System Preferences screen.

It is an application. Applications>Utilities>Audio MIDI Setup

Over on Audio Circle in the Apple Core are the specific procedures to make everything work.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.