Laptop--Vista--USB Dac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'm using my laptop with Vista to listen to my CD collection which I have Ripped (Lossless wav) to an external Hard Drive. It is very convenient. The sound is ok, but I want something better. I was thinking getting an external USB Dac, from what I have read it will improve the sound. What I want to know, by using the USB dac, will I have to use any other software, eg Foolbar? etc, and will the internal Kmixer of windows be bypassed when I connect the USB dac? Is there anything else I need to know to make this work?

Vista has no Kmixer.

You neglect to mention what outputs you are using currently, are you using a combined L&R channel analogue out jack from your internal soundcard?

if so an external usb DAC will be an improvement. The Edirol UA-25 is sensible money and high quality, and upsamples to 24/96, user switchable, should you require it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.