Help with an active / digital system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Maube I'm an idiot, because I'm having trouble finding ones with digital inputs. The Ashly unit was within my budget, but lacks a digtial input. Same story with the dbx driveracks. I want to avoid the A/D conversion. I've found a couple of high end units:

Klark Teknik DN9848E
XTA DP226
BSS Audio FDS-366T

The Klark is way out of my bufget and the XTA and the BSS are slightly out of my budget. I've looked at the Rane 26z, but I don't like that it has no front panel controls. I also don't like the Euroblock outputs. Maybe I'm missing something, but it's not like I haven't looked. I would appreciate any input. Also, if someone highly recoomends the XTA or the BSS, I might be able to stretch my budget.

So, I was able to find a used BSS FDS-366 for $1,350. I pulled the trigger and am very excited about the purchase. I have a friend who is a Sound Engineer and he highly recommended the unit. I would like some advice on the spdif / xlr connection. Currently, I'm planning on running a good quality 75 ohm digital interconnect from the squeezebox into one of these adaptors.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=14787

Does anyone see any problems with this? Any recommendations for the interconnect?

After looking into this further and reading about potential problems with impedance mismatches using a RCA/XLR adaptor, I found a SPDIF to AES/EBU converter from Aardvark Audio that seems perfect. The converter has a built in transformer to take care of any potential impedance issues. It was one of the few transformer devices I could find that actually had an RCA input. Most of them had BNC inputs ie Canare, Neutrik. I know I'm probably just being anal and that impedence mismatches are really not a big deal for such a short run, but I think that the initial digital connection is probably the most important in the entire signal path. With that in mind, I'm considering splurging on the actual interconnect:

http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/audioproducts/planardigitalzephyr.php

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.