Hoontech DSP 24Value

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'am back with my soundcard-quistion.

As a followup, too my past quistion, I have now descided to buy either M-audio audiophile 2496 or terratec ewx2496, or hoontech dsp24 value.

I would like to have some comments about theese card, espsially the Hoontech, as it's very low-priced right now, here in denmark.

I intend to use for playing MP'3 or Ogg files only...

My stereo is a Passlab balanced line stage +
Leach power-amp 4.5, laudspeaker is Audiovector 4.

BTW. XLR connectors is used for balanced only RIGHT ?, and is only really needed when having long signal path RIGHT ?

mp3 & ogg only?

If you're going to just play audio like mp3's and ogg, why buy a studio card? I have the DSP24 Value. I use it for recording and mastering audio. The card sounds great but its a waste for just playing mp3's.

I like the simple control interface for the DSP24. It allows me to setup witch virtual outputs are MME, ASIO, or GSIF. The whole reason I got this card is for the ASIO support--2ms latencey for sofware synths and recording.

Personaly I still use my old SBLive for mp3,ogg, games.

Most mp3's are not converted from 24bit files... and ripping a CD at anything other than 16bit@44.1k is silly.

On the other hand if you're are recording old(or new) vinyl to digital then I recomend using 24bit@96k. Reson being, you're going to have to run noise/click-pop filters and maybe EQ on the audio. All of witch you will want to do to high resolution uncompressed audio( be ready for some BIG files :bigeyes: ). When you get the audio sounding right then compress (if you like) to OggVorbis for storage.

Always remember ogg and mp3 are lossy compresion formats. You lose quality. I always compress at high bitrates. A 10mb ogg is way better off than a 130mb .wav on the ol' hard drive.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
The m-Audio Revolution is a consumer card, as I said earlier. I would think the AudioPhile is the best way to go just for the quality converters - remember this is a card that was designed with studios in mind (which means fewer frills and more solid audio performance) whereas the Revolution is basically a consumer card. Though the Envy 24HT is currently at the top of the performance stakes it does not have what it takes to get into a studio - it was not designed to be, so it's not a shortcopming.

On the other hand, compressed audio does not need such an expensive soundcard in the first place... You can even get by with an audigy or TB card...

Also look out for the 192/24 cards from Egosys - very reasonably priced - excellent quality, apparently. In case you still need to spend a ton of money, these cards are specced better than the m-Audio...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.