Wadia Digimaster X64.4

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That's a start, thanks for that, I did just find out that the were 1300000yn in Japan when new, that's about $13,000.00!!!!!!!

Has anyone any ideas what dac chip was used? for that price I'd expect and want discrete, or at least something very special.

I think I can remember they may have had an output stage, that they called the Sledgehammer what ever that meant? then it could have been another US company.

Cheers George

the sledgehammer output stage was a Wadia deal. they got slammed in some early reviews due to a weak output stage so they beefed it up. I am not an Wadia expert but i do love there products!

They had some special DA or filtering process. different then anyone else.

Here we go the inside, anybody reconize anything?
What the!!!!! 4 X crystal's and another 3 on the input board.
Scary looking adjustable DAC's

Any comments!!!

Cheers George

Attachments

• wadia x64.4 guts xx.jpg
    wadia x64.4 guts xx.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 1,227
Basically the output stage and DAC's are not really a special thing in these Wadia players. Shurely they are well designed, but the real secret of these players is the software (or (re)programmable FCPGA or DSP).

The interpolation algorithms are what makes a Wadia player different from others. Basically they use a 11th (or 12th) order polynomial function to generate the extra samples for oversampling.

Well, after the 1000, the X64.4 Digimaster, the X32... I just have to find a 2000 to be complete. :D

The X64.4 Digimaster is a nice DAC.

A friend of mine use a X64.4 "French Curve", does anybody know where are the difference between the "Digimaster" and the "French Curve"?

In these prehistoric DAC time the Digimaster was more expansive than the "French Curve", but I cannot find / understand why!

"French Curve" was the original name for the Digimaster software. They used that name for only a very short time.
Both are based off the exact same idea. Using Lagrangian curve fitting (thus the name "french curve") as the first part of their re-sampling process.
There was one minor difference though. The "French Curve" was a 12th order algorithm while the later Digimaster was an 11th. But functionally and audibly they are the same.

The first intent was to allow end users who were familiar with computer programming to write their own digital filters and write them to replaceable eeproms on the dsp board. They quickly abandoned that idea and named their own algorithm as "Digimaster" with the intent of licensing it to other DAC manufacturers. That also pretty much failed. The company went bankrupt for the first time, the original owners/designers moved on, and the torch was picked up by a new set of engineers who ran with the Digimaster idea keeping it fundamentally unchanged since that time.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.