Problem with SPDIF comparator (Elso) - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th August 2003, 02:27 PM   #51
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Elso Kwak
Lightbulb Re: Problem with SPDIF comparator (Elso)

Quote:
Originally posted by tiroth
I've implemented Elso's comparator-input S/PDIF reciever as seen below except with 10nF input cap and 100k resistor to ground at the noninverting input. I am running it single-ended.

Hi Tiroth,
As I am using the circuit again:
You must ground the inverting input of the comparator.
Might be possible you have damaged the AD8561, I have blown up two. Hence the protection diodes in the new circuit.

Best directly connect the ouputs of the comparator to the CS8412.
This makes a huge difference sonically.
I am thrilled by the sound now!
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...664#post227664

Ironically I did not get working Freds/Scott Nixons circuit completely succesfully
Old 29th August 2003, 06:59 PM   #52
tiroth is offline tiroth  United States
diyAudio Member

Elso,

I confess I gave up on the comparator a long time ago, but the noninverting input was connected to ground via 100 ohm just like in your schematic (the version posted at the very beginning of this thread...I know it has been updated several times now) I did attach to pot and vary from ground to Vcc...then gave up. Should it matter? I think the level was mV at most with 100 ohm.

I think the diodes are best omitted but then there is some danger to the comparator. It all depends on the goals I guess.

I have this thing Jocko drew on a napkin but it is far too complex for me to figure out. Maybe a few more years in this hobby...

Tyler
Old 29th August 2003, 07:11 PM   #53
tiroth is offline tiroth  United States
diyAudio Member

Elso,

I confess I gave up on the comparator a long time ago, but the noninverting input was connected to ground via 100 ohm just like in your schematic (the version posted at the very beginning of this thread...I know it has been updated several times now) I did attach to pot and vary from ground to Vcc...then gave up. Should it matter? I think the level was mV at most with 100 ohm.

I think the diodes are best omitted but then there is some danger to the comparator. It all depends on the goals I guess.

I have this thing Jocko drew on a napkin but it is far too complex for me to figure out. Maybe a few more years in this hobby...

Quote:
Ironically I did not get working Freds/Scott Nixons circuit completely succesfully
Did you try damping the input? RC or LC series resonant circuit? I needed one to get it to lock with "75 ohm" RCA patches and/or rat's nest wiring. Probably works fine if everything is true 75-ohm?

Tyler

Hide this!Advertise here!