Ordered Monica3 USB, now what ??? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th April 2008, 01:23 PM   #1
kvk is offline kvk  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Ordered Monica3 USB, now what ???

Okay, I felt I needed a toy and hate the way my DVD player plays CDs so I just sent $200USD (darn that weak US $) to the Malaysia for a Monica3 USB DAC.

1. Anyone know how long it takes to get these things to US?

2. Gotta power it. Here's my first idea. I have a whole bunch of 750mAH 1.2V NiMH AA cells I used to use in FRS band radios, like 15 or 20 of them. I figure I could use 12 of them to get to 14.4V. Sound okay?

My individual cell charger only holds 8 so I'd have to recharge in batches. But won't this thing run for hours or days on batteries?

I guess I'm supposed to put a big cap in parallel with the batteries to make the PS quicker, huh?

I wonder if I could trickle charge 14.4v with a little 12v transformer and a diode? Work out a current limiter with the R of the trans and any additional needed R. The peaks of 12v ought be almost 17v. Would that do it? Be a bit more convenient that pulling the batteries and putting them in my individual cell charger in two batches.

Any other thoughts?

Hide this!Advertise here!