Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th April 2008, 04:07 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Cd player upgrades for a newbie

Hello. I am new to the whole Diy thing. I recently purchased an Exposure 2010s cd player and was wondering if there are any relatively easy things i can do to upgrade the sound.Keep in mind i am new so my
knowledge is relatively limited at this point. The one model up from the cdp i have uses a better dac chip. The Burr Brown 1704 as opposed to the 1716 in my player.Are these difficult to change.I believe this is the only difference between the two players.
Old 24th April 2008, 09:29 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi

Do you have a circuit diagram?
Also what opamps are in this cd player?

The best course is to improve capacitors, regulators, opamps and clocks. So a service manual will help alot

Brent
Old 26th April 2008, 06:26 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Unfotunately for you those two dacs are fundamentally different. The1716 is a voltage-output bitstream device; the 1704 is a true multibit, current-output DAC (and one of the greats.)

No drop-in swap I'm afraid. For a start, the 1704 is a mono chip - you one for each channel - and the 1704 also requires a current-to-voltage conversion stage. No trivial matter, and if you are in that deep you'd be fundamentally re-engineering the player.

Which doesn;t mean what you have can't be improved - look at the PSU for a start - but be aware there are distinct limits with the sound from the BB 1710/1716 family IME. You may be better-off selling your player and simply buyng the one you really want, IYSWIM.

Hide this!Advertise here!