minidisc digital output mod

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hey everyone,
i have come across several tutorials in which optical or coax digital outputs are added to home minidisc units. ussually these are found on most high end home units but hardley ever on portables. i have the block diagram and pin diagram from my portable recorder and i am in desperate need of a digital output. i will post the link for the diagrams below, if anyone could point me in the right direction it would be most appreciated. really, i just need some help finding out where all the connections must be made. i believe there are 3 connections that must be made: 1. +voltage, 2. gnd, and 3. spdif. the connector could replace the second headphone jack or maybe a self contained outboard cord containg the circuit. well, i must say that this is all just a little confusing so any advise anyone could give would be a great help. thanks

http://www.minidisc.org/manuals/sony/service/sony_MZ-N707_service_manual.pdf

I didn't see an S/PDIF out line anywhere, although I could have missed it. You would probably need to connect Pins 194, 196, 197, and 198 of IC801 to an S/PDIF transmitter chip such as a Crystal CS8405 and then configure and power it properly. I don't think it can be made to fit inside there, but I could be wrong. Those signals are usually pretty weak and don't like to be run over long cables. So you would have to keep any extension cables very short and likely buffer them before going to the transmitter chip.

Stu

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.